HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a furnace with error 31. When the unit starts up it…

Customer Question
I have a Bryant...

I have a Bryant furnace with error 31. When the unit starts up it sounds as if the inducer is trying to start. It revs then stops, revs then stops like it needs a jump. Any ideas what it could be?

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the appliance? Have you gotten error messages before?

No errors. Have only needed to replace igniter. Furnace is 17 years old

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If it’s possible. Don’t want to do something too complicated

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: HVAC
3/23/2018
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 5 months ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

The 31 error is to be expected if the inducer doesn't run. You need to check for voltage to the inducer when there is a call for heat. If you have constant 120 volts then you need a new inducer.

The inducer sounds like it wants to start. It starts spinning stops about 5 times. It actually sounds like it just can’t get the power to get over the hump

You need to put a voltmeter on the leads to the inducer. If you don't have a meter you'll have to call a pro.