HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My trane air circulator is not heating. I have checked all…

My trane air circulator...

My trane air circulator is not heating. I have checked all breakers and replaced the batteries in my thermostat. However, there is no "click" when I turn heat on. We had a similar problem last fall - I thought it was thermostat batteries because it started working again after I replaced them.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

New filter, thermostat is set to heat - 65F - it is 59 in the house right now. I'm not 100% sure the new thermostat batteries are good, but it lights up and seems to be working. It's a buttonless touchscreen model.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I'd like to.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I checked out the circulator itself. There is a single breaker and no fuses that i could find.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The air circulator is a electric multispeed model from 2008. The thermostat is a Honeywell touchscreen with no buttons
from the same time.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can turn the fan on/off from the thermostat. We usually have it on all the time to circulate heat throughout the house. When I switch to Fan AUTO and set the temp higher to turn on furnace nothing happens.
3/21/2018
Gaztech
Gaztech, HVAC Technician

Hi I amCustomer a independent technician, I will assist you with your issue.

Don't forget to rate the 5 star rating AT THE TOP OF PAGE when we are done. this will credit me for assisting you.

Do you mean you have a electric AIR HANDLER?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
with a heating coil.

will comunicate by text for now, as I need some important info from you.

To assist you I need to know what is make and model of your thermostat, and also your furnace.

if you want to attach pictures that is really helpfull, especially if you are not familiar working on this equipment.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, let me get all the info for you.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The air handler is a TRANE 4TEE3F31B1000AA with electric heater from 2008The Honeywell thermostat is all touchscreen from the same era
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Still there?

Yes, helping 3 cust right now

OK here we go

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok!

Trying to reteive file on that unit

Put R-red and W-white together

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
do i need to turn the furnace breaker off first?

If you want its only 24 V

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
nothing - no spark either.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I should mention that the thermostat has batteries. Would the batteries have to be connected to make it work?

NO

OK, now go do the same thing at the furnace control board

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok...back in a few minutes.

You might have a bad wire connection at the W1 terminal,

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It didn't do anything. Just a note - There is a humming near the breaker. I noticed it earlier as well. Goes away when the breaker is off.Is the W1 where the red wire is connected at the furnace?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is the hum a normal "power on" sound?

Thermostat wires connect to the control board

R is red, 24v

W is white for heat

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Cfm led rapidly blinking, the stops and repeats.

Thats cause blower is turning and showing at what speed its turning, 1 blink per 100 CFT

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What about the300 v fuse? How to tell if it is blown
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What else to try?

Furnace fan would not work if fuse was blown.

So you bypassed R an W and no heat elements came on just fan?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No fan either. But the led stopped blinking

Bypass R and G at the furnace to see if fan starts

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Nothing

I thougt you said at the begining that if you set to fan on it would start

wiring diagram shows fuse is in fuse holder. red wire

Hello???

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, so the fan no longer turns on from the thermostat. That green blinking led on the furnace stopped bliking when I was bypassing the red and white.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The fuse was white.

does terminal R and W have red and white wire?

You may have touched the B terminal and burnt fuse.

Test fuse with ohm meter to see if blown

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok.can I contact you again tomorrow? Hardware store is closed. I will replace fuse and pick it up again tomorrow if that's ok.

Ok get a couple of 5 amp fuses

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
5amo 300v?

Shure, same as what it had

You never answered

does terminal R and W have red and white wire?You may have touched the B terminal and burnt fuse.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
W = white wire
RC = red wire

At the furnace

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have changed the fuse and am up and (kind of) running again. Still no heat. What should I try next?

Hi..

Ok bypass R terminal and W terminal at the furnace control board.

MAKE SURE YOU DOT TOUCH B terminal with any of the 2 wires or you will blow fuse again

Furnace should start blower and engage elements.

If not, then it will be either a bad relay or control board

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just to confirm - just connect R and W?

I will call you

Gaztech
Gaztech, HVAC Technician
Phone call session started

Justanswer uses a secure, third party phone system to connect your call but it is not working for some reason???

I want you to use a small wire or paper clip etc to jumper between R and W

Just hold jumper firmly on the W and R terminal screws to engage heating

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry about that wait. Had to get the panel off. Ok, so connecting. R and W does nothing.

Best of luck!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It looks like all the relays are on the board. The board is only $65 from Amazon, so I'm going to give that a shot first. Thanks again for your help!

Good job!

Gaztech
Gaztech
Gaztech, HVAC Technician