HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My heater has recently been acting up. It will work fine for…

My heater has recently...

My heater has recently been acting up. It will work fine for several days and then it won’t come on for several hours (4-8 hours). Right now it is set at 72, but the temp in the house is 68. The heater itself is working, but it’s like the heater is programmed to not come on or something. We changed the batteries and that helped for a week or so, but now it’s acting up again.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Off and on for several weeks.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

It depends.

3/21/2018
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

What you describe is usually a thermostat or a thermostat wiring problem. If it's not working now you can rule the thermostat in or out by shutting off the power to the furnace, then connect the leads on the R & W thermostat terminals (usually red & white) together then turn the power back on. If the furnace fires up then replace the thermostat.

I don’t know how to turn off the furnace, so I’ll have to wait to get help from my husband. Can I ask another question later if necessary?

Yes, you can come back to this thread and I'll answer related follow up questions even after you rate me favorably

Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Thanks

You're welcome