HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I am looking to upgrade the current thermostat (Rheem part…

I am looking to...

I am looking to upgrade the current thermostat (Rheem part no. 41--20804-15) in looking at an older posting (05/25/2011) in i noticed it is the same part no.(bought this older house a couple of years back and had not paid much attention to thermostat, so now i want to upgrade to digital, etc.. I have not yet purchased new thermostat. currently it is hooked up like this. G-G, R-R, B-B, Y-Y, W2-W, X-brown, but this is where i am confused. Orange wire coming out of back is cut(not attached ), but Orange wire piece is attached from E to w2

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

Thermostat

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Black wire is not connected

3/21/2018
Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician

Hi I'm Brian and I'll be happy to help you with this!

Is your system a Rheem heat pump system? Meaning the Rheem compressor unit outside run in heat?

Thanks,

Brian

Also, can you confirm your system worked ok in both heating and cooling the way the current thermostat is hooked up?

compressor outside
it has worked for the last couple of years no problem.. the ony issue i have seen is during cold weather when i move the temp up too much, the Aux turns on (blue light) so i always have to bring it back down a nothc
inside MODEL RhEem RBHJ-21J14SFaa serial # T M4499 03729

Ok since your system is Indeed a RHEEM system, it does NOT use the more standard "O" terminal for the reversing valve which is normally connected to the orange wire in pretty much any other brand beside Rheem. Instead, on a Rheem system, the B terminal is used to energize the reversing valve in the heating mode instead of the cool mode. Off hand the only other question remaining for me is what the X is for on the old thermostat. I'll have to check that out with some research.

Thank you for the model number of the outdoor unit, that helps!

ok.. do you need the model number for the outdoor compressor unit/fan etc.. it also a rheem

Ok, as I suspected but wanted to confirm, the brown wire is the 24 volt common terminal on the thermostat. Most new digital thermostats label the common terminal "C". So old brown X would go to new C on a new thermostat (if the new thermostat even requires a C, or common connection, many don't.)

If needed, the outdoor compressor unit is Model #rpmc-036JAZ the model number i previousl provided was for the unit inside

Having the outdoor unit model number would just help me to confirm your whole system but it's not absolutely necessary I have it. I have enough info to help you choose or confirm your choice and also to guide you with any installation questions.

ok... thanks.. so recommendations on what new type of thermostat to purchase would be appreciated..what brand/model/type . in looking at this am i correct it is a phase 1 type?

You will be looking to choose a new thermostat that can operate a Heat Pump WITH Auxiliary Heat. As long as the thermostat shows it can operate that type of system, you'll be fine with it.

perfect. .thanks.. any brands you recommend?

Officially you would look for a 1 cool/2 heat stage Heat Pump thermostat. Any brand of your choosing will do. I typically prefer and install Honeywell but there are many others such as Ecobee or even the fancy Nest thermostat. The important thing is not to purchase more than you need. So it's important to decide the features you want such as: Wifi connectivity or not, Outdoor temperature display/control or not, programmable or not, etc...

that really helps.. and when it comes to making the new connections.. i know you mentioned old brown X would go to C,, and the rest would go to same connections, but what about the odd connection of the oragne wire from E to W2? what is the purpose of that?

I'm not a huge fan of White Rodgers, Maple Chase, Hunter or Lux (some of those may not even be available anymore).

i really appreciate yuor advise.. i was looking at honeywell and Nest yesterday evening.(big box stores) but may go online..i wasl also thinkg wifi,, but this whole house is electric and during power outages.. everything goes out including of course the internet... so may forego wifi... at least until i get a backup generator (whole house type) currently only for my well water pump...

The reason your thermostat was jumped from W2 to E was so your backup electric heater in the indoor unit would run if 1) the system was set to emergency heat and 2) if set in normal heat pump mode but not keeping up with heating demand W2 (second stage heat) would be brought on automatically as needed. You may or may not have to jumper that the same way in your new thermostat, some need the jumper, some don't. It just depends on the brand and even model of the thermostat.

Also, the wire on B will go to a new terminal on your new thermostat that chances are will be identified as O/B or even W-O/B. You must program the installer set program of the new thermostat to energize this O/B terminal in heating (B) instead of cooling (O) for the Rheem unit.

Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician
perfect.. i think i did read that on a previous post.. again.. thanks for your help.. now i know what to look for specifically when shopping for thermostat.. i guess if i need assistance in hooking up new,.. i can back to justanswer.. i really do appreciate your assistance.. 5 STARS!!!!!! and have great day....

Thank YOU very much! Just post a follow up on this same question if you need a little help with the installation. Have a great day yourself! Thanks for using Just Answer!

Kindest regards,

Brian