HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Trane XR80. Thermostat is from Honeywell. Everything was…

Customer Question
Trane XR80 . Thermostat...

Trane XR80 . Thermostat is from Honeywell. Everything was working till yesterday but suddenly now, thermostat restarts when trying to make heat a call.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Yes checked themorstat , no issues there. Also I purchased a thermostat 2 months back in a deal but never installed. I installed and tried that too. But same issues. THis new thermostat also restarts while making a heat call. Filters are cleaned. I took it out , cleaned thoroughly and reinstalled.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Note - I always keep spare and new parts of almost all HVAC system. I replaced high limit switch, circuit board and transformer with new ones. Issue still persist.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: HVAC
3/21/2018
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 5 months ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

W hat do you mean it restarts? Is heater shirt cycling on and off? If so lets clean flame sensor.

Thermostat sends heat signal and then switches off. It starts again within 2 to 5 seconds, goes though initialization process ( like connect to wifi network etc ) and then after a min or so, try to initiate heat sequence again, it loses power and turns off again and this repeats.....! It repeated multiple times and finally blow off my circuit board fuse. I replaced the fuse but kept unit off till I figure out what is wrong here.I don't think so it is related to flame sensor since heat call itself is not starting. Though I will clean and reinstall that tomorrow morning first thing.Note - I also replaced old transformer ( 35 VA ) with a new one ( 35 VA ) . But no luck. May be I need to change to 40 VA or 50 VA ? Not sure.
There is no indication on circuit board red led. It blinks and shows normal operation. Let me know if there is anything I can check before calling a professional.