HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I'm trying to determine if my HVAC system is dual fuel. My…

Hi, I'm trying to...

Hi, I'm trying to determine if my HVAC system is dual fuel. My home is all electric and I have a heat pump with a furnace.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

What am I looking for on the thermostat and filter?

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I have installed a Nest thermostat to replace a Trane Baystat 239

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Electric Furnace and heat pump

3/20/2018
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Give me the model on the furnace and heat pump so I can verify 100 per cent. But if you know the outdoor is a heat pump and the furnace is a gas furnace, then YES the system is considered dual fuel.(One fuel being gas and the other being electricity)

I have no gas in this home. There is a furnace but it is electric. Model of furnace is Trane BWV818B100X0.

OK, THat is considered an "air handler" since it is electric.

Your system will NOT be dual fuel.If you have further questions, please let me know.
Thanks for letting me work with you.When we are finished if my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.
To rate answer, please select one of the stars on the page.
Leaving a poor service rating will not automatically refund your money,but reflects poorly on your expert. You have to request a refund if not satisfied with the information provided being accurate.

Ok I do have another question. I have a Nest thermostat setup. can you verify that I have it wires correctly if this is not dual fuel.

Sure .Tell me what wires you had on old and where you put them on the Nest

Old thermostat is Trane Baystat 239. New thermostat is Nest 3rd Generation
O on old thermostat is in O/B
X2 on old thermostat is in W2 Aux
G on old thermostat us in G
Y on old thermostat is in Y1
T on old thermostat is capped off
R on old thermostat is in TH
W on old thermostat is in W1
B on old thermostat is in C
do i classify the * as emergency heat

THat is correct. X2 on old was emergency heat

Ok, great! Thanks so much! One last question. Should the heat pump be set to activate seasonally or each cycle?

Each cycle.

airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Got it! Awesome! Thanks again!