HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My 21 year old daughter just called and her Pellet stove…

Customer Question
My 21 year old...

My 21 year old daughter just called and her King Pellet stove woke her up because it is smoking and smoke has filled the house.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Since 10 pm . I am in Ny and she is in NH . I am very worried. she turned it off and opened the doors but it is 15 degrees outside

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

It is 3 am and she is there alone . What should she do to stop the smoke first of all.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

What should she do to stop the smoke . she turned it off . what is the problem?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/20/2018
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 3 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, for now shut the pellet stove down, its dangerous if it fills the house with smoke.

.

The problem is a blocked vent OR more likely in this case a failed exhaust blower. ... unless she is very highly skilled she will need to have a pellet stove repair person arrive and repair it for her, Cost will be in the range of $500 to $700 as an educated guess.

.

If you tell me which direction she is from the center of the nearest larger town or city, I will see if I can locate a well rated pellot stove repair outfit that is well established and has good ratings.

.

Meantime she should use two or three portable electric heaters, plugged into different circuits to keep the house above freezing, if she has no back up heaters but has an **electric oven she can open its door and turn it to 300F and that should keep the house from freezing inside and damaging the water pipes.

.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today.

If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.