HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a Boderus Propane furnace and its flashing a C3 code…

Customer Question
Hello I have a...

Hello I have a Boderus Propane furnace and its flashing a C3 code and will not stay running

Contractor's Assistant: Did you check the furnace's filters?

No

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I would like to at least get it running so it is not an emergency service

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

A few times a season the pressure drops so I pull the valve to add water. It did shut down a week ago for low pressure but I was able to de a reset and it was fine

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: HVAC
3/19/2018
HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 1 month ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

This can be as simple as a blocked vent (nest, birds, etc) to a dirty burner assembly.

Is this something you can check yourself?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will check in a bit and get back to you. I am 15 min from home

if no vent blockage try to clean burner section out

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am here the vent outside is perfectly clear
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The burner assembly was replaced last year. How do I check it
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That's it you abandoned me

I apologize, I had a computer glitch but am back...can you check the actual burner?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am here now. I reset it it ran up to 160 and shut down

see if you can access the actual burner and clean. There will be spark ign probes which yoou can clean with steel wool. Clean out the burner and any intake air components..keep me posted

Then....make sure the exhaust blower is running as it should...not shutting down prematurely which then shuts down burner.

If the burner is clean and motor is ok, it leaves the possibility of a bad sensor for exhaust

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I removed the cover and there is a gray box to the bottom left with a red light flashing
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did a reset one more time and light went out.

were you able to blow the burner compartment out and clean the sensor/ignitor?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did get it all cleaned out put it back together and the ignitor was bad I still had to have emergency services come to install the ignitor. If I has one I could have put it in. Thank you

I thank you for the follow up.

Billy

BillyHvac
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech