HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Definitely. I have a Lennox electric central HVAC system. My…

Customer Question
I have a Lennox...

I have a Lennox electric central HVAC system. My current thermostat is the Lennox ComfortSense 7000 Series Model# ***** I want to replace this thermostat with one that is wifi enabled so that I can access and modify the settings via mobile phonre, computer, etc.

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

This is a specific thermostat replacement question.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes as long as it isn't extremely complicated.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I want to make sure that any potential replacement wifi thermostat still supports all of the existing features of my current thermostat.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: HVAC
3/19/2018
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 3 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, click here please. Lennox says that will work (including the dehumidification feature) but with that thermostat you need the aux dehum controller shown on the upper right corner of the first wiring diagram.

.

I do not like any of those complications... but without them, there is no wi fi drop in replacement for what you have. That system installed will be difficult to trouble shoot, that translates to erroneous diagnosis leading to costly repairs...leaving you with less than 10% of technicians capable and willing to work on that system.

.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today.

If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Since my current HVAC system is going on 9 years old, I'm not surprised that it will be difficult to replace my existing thermostat with a Wifi enabled one. Based upon the information that you provided me, I'm going to contact the company that did the initial installation of my HVAC system. I will ask them for their opinion on this matter and if they have any suggestions on how to handle this thermostat replacement. It is clearly going to be too complicated for me to accomplish myself. I guess that I'll have to leave it to the professionals. If this replacement proves too complicated, too costly and/or both, I will probably wait until my HVAC system needs to be replaced. Living in Florida with 12 months of air conditioning requirements, HVAC system don't normal last much past 10 or 11 years. Since I'll need to replace my HVAC in a year or two, I'll just purchase one that also has the smart thermostat capabilities. Thank you for your help.

Some companies will find a reason sell you anything, be cautious. Your idea of waiting until you replace the entire system is the best approach.

.

Even that however has issues, primarily vastly more complex electronics in the high efficiency systems... which *are warranted in Florida... but the electronics are fragile and you will pay a price for that in more frequent and more costly repairs.

.

Its time to rate my input for the day, that gets me paid, locate the "finish and rate your expert" link near the top of the page and click on it. I will appreciate that very much.

I am in every day from 9 am to 11 pm west coast USA time to do any follow up needed.