HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I live in Milwaukee HaVE HAD A JOTUL WORD BURNING UNIT FOR 9…

Customer Question
I live in Milwaukee...

I live in Milwaukee HaVE HAD A JOTUL WORD BURNING UNIT FOR 9 YEARS. OUTSTANDING UNTIL 6 MONTH AGO.

Contractor's Assistant: Who is your email provider (Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook, etc.)?

THE FIRE PLACER COMPANY THE FIRE DEPT HAS BEEN TO MY HOUSE TWICE AAND TOLD ME NOT TO USE MY FIREP[LACE UNTIL FIXED. THE FIRE PLACE COPMPANY TELLS ME THEIR RTECH FLOUND NOTHING WRONG AND JUST CHANGE THE WOOD WHICH I DID

Contractor's Assistant: How do you usually access your email? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?

I REALLY NEED TO SPEAK WITH SOMEONE ON THE PHON PLEASE LARRY CHARME MD

Contractor's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

THE SMOKE IS COME FROM A SPACE AB OVE THE FIREPLACE. THEIR HAS TO BE A LEAK FROM THE TUBE AND ENTERS THE SPACE IN THE CHIMNEY AND THEN COMING INTO MY HOUSE AND SETS OFF THE ALARM

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?

I AM SO DISAPPOINTED WITH THE RESPONSE FRO MTHE FIREPLACE COMPANY. THIS IS A DANGEROUS SITUATION AND I AM FRIGHTENED

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: HVAC
3/19/2018
HVAC Technician: Machinc, General Contractor replied 4 months ago
Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor
You need to have your chimney and the pipes from your stove professionally inspected and repaired.
More...
Do not use your. Wood stove under any circumstances until. This is done.
More...:
Not only is this a fire hazard but it is also a carbon monoxide hazard.
You could easily be overcome without realizing it.
More...
Nine years is enough time for a hole to have developed in the pipes or tubes. The problem would not necessarily be in the stove itself so it could appear to be operating properly.
More...
While burning the right kind of wood is important no matter what kind you burn there should not be smoke coming from anywhere in the system.
More...
Do not use your stove until the chimney (not just the stove) has been professionally inspected and repaired.
I cannot emphasize enough the importance of doing this professionally.
I have had the whole setup inspected videoed be the original installers who said the liner stil is under warranty. But they find nothing wrong with the jotul unit or liner and refus to do anything. I had another company do all of the inspection again . And they didn’t identify a hole but based on the history of where the smoke is leaking out there has to be a leak. They want to replace the liner but not positive it will solve the problem. It seem redicukous for me to pay them for a liner which is still under warranty
Fire department told me the unit is unsafe and not to use it until repaired.
Based on the fire department there is a problem.
You should notify your insurance company and the fire department and ask the fire department for a written report you can give your insurance company and the company who is refusing to honor the warranty .
Ask the fire department to notify the original installer that the chimney is unsafe to use and why.
Notify the original installer in writing that the fire department has ruled the unit unsafe and also that you have notified your homeowners insurance company of their refusal to correct the problem.
This should bring you some good results .
I would tell you the same thing in person or on the phone .
A leaking joint can also be the problem and it would not show up as a hole.
Whether detected by the original installer or not the fire department has ruled it unsafe to use . If it is still under warranty it is their responsibility to make it safe . They have to sastify the the requirements of the fire department not you . Do notify the local fire department and building inspector that you are having trouble with your warranty provider.
Their word that is ok is not enough . They have to notify the authorities they are doing the work and have it inspected and approved .
Once they realize you are serious I’m sure they will get you fixed.