HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have an Amana furnace 70K btu model # GSI070B30B. It

Customer Question
I have an Amana...

I have an Amana furnace 70K btu model # GSI070B30B. It suddenly stopped operating yesterday morning after running one heating cycle to warm the house.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

I replaced the thermostat with one that I knew was functional - no success. The filter is a bit dirty.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I installed a Bryant 80K upflow in my own home a few years back. The Amana is at my rental. So, yes.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Circuit breaker did not trip. Otherwise, I didn't test power to the unit yet.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: HVAC
3/19/2018
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 1 month ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your

issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of your situation.

Does the draft/exhaust fan run? do you have power to the unit?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Nothing runs. As I noted above, I did not check power to the unit but have no reason to believe the power supply was interrupted.How to I check power to the unit?

You need a multi-meter and probe the incoming electrical feed.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Assuming I have power, what is the next step?

I'm not doing hypotheticals. You need to be onsite to trouble shoot this.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What I am looking for are step-by-step instructions to diagnose the problem. Ideally, your service would have a basic diagram of the electrical system (I understand that manufacturers have differences but, the units are basically the same).Just received your message that you are not doing 'hypotheticals'. If I go to the site, later this morning is there an additional charge to resume this conversation?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also, would a volt meter suffice?

No these units are not basically the same when it comes to trouble shooting. No additional charge to pick this up later. This is an old unit with next to no specs available so I'd need a clear picture of the wiring diagram if basic first steps don't work. It is usually pasted to the inside of one of the access panels. A voltmeter is OK if it can read both 120 and 24 volts AC.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have a Klein ET200 voltage and continuity tester with a range from 12 to 600 voltsHow do I resume this call and can I text you a photo of the wiring diagram?

Just come back here.

Click on the link below for info on posting pics here

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer