HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

ONLY What is the best drop in replacement freon for R-22?

This question is for Phil...
This question is for Phil ONLYWhat is the best drop in replacement freon for R-22?Can the replacement Freon be used to top off an existing R-22 system or is it best to evacuate the system and then reload with a fresh charge?
3/19/2018
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello again, here is an article on the topic from ACR News, one of the industries most respected journals, they recommend R424a... however there are others, R424a actually increases the cooling capacity of the equipment though by 10 to 20%... others R404a for instance reduces the capacity by 5 or 10%. R424a compound has different names from different manufacturers RS44 for example,.

click here please

Click here for another article

The main issues however are:

1. Must be compatible with mineral oil as used in R22 system compressors.

2. Must be locally available at a reasonable price.

.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today.

If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer