HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I replaced the batteries on a Chronotherm IV plus. Honeywell…

I replaced the batteries...

I replaced the batteries on a Chronotherm IV plus. Honeywell and now cannot get ac or heat to come back on. The fan will cycle but not the heat or ac. Can you help?

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Filters are good. I am running a test program for ac now with unit. But outside ac unit not turning on seems like just fan running

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I was hoping it was some kind of reset since it was working fine prior to replacing batteries

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I have a downstairs and upstairs unit and both stopped operating when batteries replaced on thermostat

I have checked circuit breakers and even reset them
Is someone there .
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Is anyone there
3/19/2018
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, I am reading your question now, back in a minute

So far it sounds like the pins on the thermostats wall mounted sub base got bent or for some reason are not making contact with the thermostat once you have it back in place.

To test, tell me what color of wire goes to which lettered terminal on the thermostat sub base, and I will then instruct you on how to do the needed tests.

.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today.

If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

I took off the cover but cannot see wire colors on sub base
Should I take off the sub panel?

Send me a photo of the wall mounted sub base with the thermostat removed, it is not the thermostat cover we want to remove, but the entire thermostat, most of those can be gently pried off of the wall mounted sub base... the thermostat wire connections there are out in the open at that point and obvious

Yes I got the photo's thanks, ***** ***** paper clip wire to jumper R to W, the heat should come on, next jumper R to Y, the cooling should come on, next jumper R to G the fan should come on.... it all that happens, but not with the thermostat, the problem is with the thermostat, try refitting the thermostat and setting to extremes for heat and cool tests, and tell me what you can discover.

We can go from there

Ac made a clicking noise outside but did not turn on with wires red to yellow connectedSo outside compressor problem ?

Yes. make sure the power to the AC outside is turned on, next do the other jumper tests, R to W and R to G and tell me if the heat and fan came on or not

heat and fan seemed to come on. It is really hot so I did not leave heat on for long. I think I have to give up and call technition tomorrow

Thanks for the test, if these functions worked with jumpers in place, but not the thermostat, then the thermostat is bad OR you put the batteries in backwards OR the batteries were no good etc. Try that before you spend hundreds of dollars on a service call, then get back to me.

We can go from there

.

Its time to rate my input for the day, that gets me paid, locate the "finish and rate your expert" link near the top of the page and click on it. I will appreciate that very much.

I am in every day from 9 am to 11 pm west coast USA time to do any follow up needed.

Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer