HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

We have a Model no. rpka-018jaz from 1998 it works fantastic…

Hi Pearl, my name...

Hi Pearl, my name is***** have a Model no. rpka-018jaz from 1998 it works fantastic but since we had a Nest thermostat installed the contactor won't engage on the heat setting. i've had Nest check it twice and they can't diagnose it beyond the thermostat. could it be a wiring problem at the heat pump or compressor/

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Only filter is at the return air in the hall and Nest has done remote check and come to the house to check settings. when i turn on heat i have to go to the compressor and put a small nail in to hold the contractor down. if i don't the unit buzzes very loud.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

That depends on the level of difficulty. Probably not

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The system worked fine with the old white rogers thermostat. nothing else

3/18/2018
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

hello,

can you tell me what color wires are on what terminal?

and you have a heat pump?

It appears you are wired for gas furn and ac....there is no wire in w2/aux which is usually white...and there is no wire in O/B which is a reverse valve that determine heat or cool

the heat pump is also Rheem

Ok we may have to get into the air handler...

The thermostat is not wired for heat pump ...we can move the white to w2/aux easy enough but we are missing a wire that should be on O/B

can you get into the indoor blower unit for me?

Is that wire from heat pump to thermostat or heat pump to compressor/

it is a wire from the outdoor unit that comes into the air handler and then leapfrogs to thermostat.

blower, do you mean compressor

no...you have a heatpump outside and a blower unit inside correct?

I can get into the compressor

what about the air handler inside?

I can get to the air handler but not now

ok lets see if we can find what color goes to reverse valve...can you see wiring at outdoor heat pump?

I’m going outside now

remove the metal panel to where we can see the defrost board...when was the last time this ran as a cooling and heating heat pump? I only see 3 wires hooked up?

Thermostat wires are yellow brown and white connecting to Brownyellow and dark blue With a purple wire that is capped

Interesting...commonly there are 5-6 wires attached at outdoor unit..

I am going to guess the white wire is being used for reverse valve...do you mind a quick test at thermostat that involves twisting certain wires together?

No

first test..

Red wire twisted to yellow and green....so red yellow green all combined...do you get ac?

then add the white...so red white yellow green all twisted together..NOT the C wire....do you get heat?

Ac is on

heat is on

ok so there was some creative wiring done at some point.

Leave red in rh

green in g

yellow in y

MOVE white to O/B

Then put a short wire jumper in w2 to Y1....you can use a piece of thermostat wire unused about 1-2 inch long.

Then you will have heat and cool....the reverse valve O/B terminal may need to be set for Heat

OK. I’ll have to go to my truck to get some wire. Not clear on the Reverse valve OB

you will move the white wire to O/B terminal.

Once booted the Nest will pick up there is a wire in O/B and ask you if you want to energize for ac or heat...you will energize for heat

just let me know back here how it goes.

I have yellow in y1, jumper won’t fit

then you would need to cut Y wire about 2-3 inches back from end and add a jumper with a wire nut...so the yellow wire would come up and split into 2 like a y with one in Y1 and the other in W2

55357;�

let me draw something..just a minute

I’m going to have to put this on hold and get a small wire nut. I will get back in touch with you when I do that. Thank you for your help so far.

ok move w2 to w1 and see how the nest interprets

nearest said it could not respond without wire changes. So W-2 went back to W1. I’ll get some’s smaller gauge thermostat wire and wire nut and try this later this afternoon. Thanks again, John

Ok, just let me know when you get more updates.

Billy

BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Billy, Jon Love here. The jumper worked, heat and cooling are up and running from the Nest! Thanks very much for your help.

Great news...I am glad all is well.

Just rate service with the 5 star system close. Thank you for your patience!