HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My Nest is showing wiring error. I have no idea. Just moved…

My Nest is showing...

My Nest is showing wiring error.

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the appliance? Have you gotten error messages before?

I have no idea. Just moved in. Apparently it is the Y1 wire. I do not see a Yellow wire though.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes, if I can.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

What information can I provide for you to tell me how to fix this?

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/18/2018
Daniel Plourde
Daniel Plourde, HVAC Technician

hi i am dan i can help you with this. first i will need to know what type of system you have and what wires you have connected to the thermostat

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just moved into this house and there was a Nest installed. There are 4 wires, White, Red, Green and Blue.

ok there are hundreds of different types of systems without knowing what type you have i cannot tell you how the thermostat should be wired or what your possible problem can be. if you do not know what system you have you will have to have a technichian come out to fix the problem.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
how do I proceed?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Oh, OK! So, there is nothing I can do at this time?
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

My name is Billy.

I can help you wrap this up if you wish to continue?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
please.

What did not help you is your wiring does not have the "code" wires. You have no yellow...so in the event there is no yellow the blue wire takes it's place.

So red to r

white to w

green to g

blue to y

Can you try this now?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you! I will try it and let you know in couple of mins.

If the code is missing power to Rh...then we want to check the furnace for power...we can work through that also.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is already connect that way. Mine is connected as: Red to Rh, Green to G, White to W1, Blue to Y1. Is this right?

That is correct. if no power is the code we need to move to the furnace if you are ok with that

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I get the code e103.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it says there is a problem with the Y1 wire.

Is this a zoned system with more than one thermostat in the home? Or just one furnace and one thermostat?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just one furnace and one thermostat.

Thank you.

Now lets go to the furnace...we want to see the same wiring at other end of the thermostat wire. Do you mind removing the furnace doors?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
1min, let me go to the furnace and open it.

thx....any pics you want to post of the wiring is great

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That is the current wiring on Nest.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't have any tools to open the furnace.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK, I got it open but can't see the wires. What do I do now?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It was working yesterday, but today morning it gave me that error. It seems to be working now again, but now sure if that error will pop up again.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Now it stopped and getting the same error code.

do you have a condensate pump next to furnace?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have no idea what a condensate pump is. I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to furnace or electrical work. But I don't see any device next to the furnace, if that helps.

Ok, how about pics of the furnace with the door off ?

Are you currently in ac mode or heating season?

A ac safety blocked drain switch can do this if the ac drain is slow..

excellent pic....now can I see with the door to the right off and any drain pipe you see from the duct,ac,furnace?

see here

are heating or cooling recently?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Cooling.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me check that area. 1min.

standing by

kind of hard to tell in the pic....is there a switch in the pan under ac coil (the safety catch pan) and is there any water present?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No, I couldn't find a switch (as far as I looked) and there is no water in the pan.

ok, put right hand door back on furnace.

It appears there is no water safety switch (which by code there is 99% of the time).

This safety protects the home from water damage if pipe gets plugged...it stops the Y circuit by opening it and shutting off access to ac. Is there a spare wire in the thermostat wire cable not being used?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK, good to know!
All the wires are already connected. 4 wires and all 4 are connected.

Now that you see how the wiring is done...check the blue wire connection and then the wire it connects with in Y.....looks like white wire that runs outside....check all the connections...It is possible the thermostat is to blame but I like ruling out other options.

BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I checked all the connections and everything looks like you said it should. Maybe it is the Nest thermostat that is malfunctioning. Thank you so much for your help!
BillyHvac
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech