HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a Carrier 58sxc060 gg hot air furnace and it short…

I have a Carrier...

I have a Carrier 58sxc060 gg hot air furnace and it short cycles and won't satisfy the thermostat I replaced the limit switch it is a little better but still won't satisfy the thermostat if I plug the old limit switch in and not install it just let it hang by the wires it will satisfy thermostat

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

The thermostat works fine like I said if I plug the old limit switch in and don't install it let it dangle by the wires the furnace will satisfy the thermostat I don't have a filter I have a Trion electronic air cleaner

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I have been so far I diagnosed the old limit switch bad because there was 24 volts on one side of the switch and the furnace wouldn't turn on I put a jumper wire across the 2 terminals for a test and the furnace would run so I replaced the limit switch with the same hi & low rating and the furnace runs but won't cycle long enough to satisfy the thermostat it keeps short cycling and won't bring the house up to temperature it is 18 degrees out the thermostat is set at 70 and it is 64 degrees in the house

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

That is it

3/18/2018
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

hello,

does the Trion have a 1/2" prefilter?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no

Ok we may have an issue then as most all electronic filters come with a prefilter screen to catch larger particulate. If you leave the bottom door off and the safety switch taped down does it satisfy or short cycle?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I took the electronic filters out of the Trion and turned it off it does the same thing I don't believe it has anything to do with the Trion air cleaner

That very well could be but I do not see what you do.

The limit trips due to excessive heat.

That means air restriction or too little air from blower.

Have you sped the blower up in heat mode yet?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When the thermostat calls for heat the blower comes on then shuts off then the inducer motor comes on then the pilot lights shouldn't the furnace continue to run until the thermostat is satisfied as long as the blower is running shouldn't the heat exchanger stay cool enough to continue to run

Yes....IF...

If the blower is at proper speed

There are restrictions

All vents and returns open

Unit set up properly at start up.

Did you see my response about whether you changed blower speed for heat?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did not see the response about blower speed that has never been changed

Would you like to change it?

Whether the blower has slowed

or other restriction, the temp is high in the furnace due to airflow ratio.

To get more airflow we find restriction or speed the blower up...which the furnace is capable of.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
if the speed is to fast or to slow what happens I know this is gong to sound stupid but the furnace sounds like it is moving the same amount of air it always has If it was laboring I would hear it why all of a sudden the air flow it was never a problem before

Because it is mechanical...things can change at anytime.

It appears airflow has not changed - yet you are cycling on limit which means overheat.

So regardless of what it sounds like...we are running too hot. The reason of too hot is the ratio of heat vs the air flow has changed.

If you want to fix the cycling issue you will need to increase airflow...providing, as mentioned, there are no filter issues, closed vents, blocked returns etc.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
you say to speed the blower up I have checked all the vents and returns so I know there are 2 or 3 wires or positions to change motor speed how do I speed motor up

on the circuit board...follow the wires from blower motor to where they attach to board.

You see terminals HEAT....COOL.....PARK

then tell me what color wire is on HEAT

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I also know where they are plugged in but have never touched them I had compressor replaced and I think it wasn't matched correctly and when it is real hot out it never brings the house down as cool as it did before I was going to speed the motor up but I was told the a coil would freeze so I never did

actually for cooling we want as much air as possible...it is too little air that freezes a coil.

If you see what is on heat we can change...it ships with red wire, which is lowest speed.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
red is on low black is high white is on common

great...do you see a blue and yellow on PARK from blower motor?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It looks like the motor has been changed there is a junction block marked c1234 on the motor side in the same order is white black yellow blue red on the circuit board side is white c black 1 red 4 then someone wrote with magic marker on the squirell cage white c red 2 black3

so the red wire from HEAT on the circuit board....goes to motor where a 4 pole plug is and the red is currently on 2 and black on 3?

Was the ac put in smaller than prior?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it wasn't suppose to be smaller but never worked like the carrier unit that was installed with the furnace the red wire coming from the board marked low is currently on 4 and is red from motor black coming from the board is marked high is currently on 1 and is black from motor

move the red to 2 and try system

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
motor doesn' run
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
doesn't

then someones has rigged a motor in that was not spec'd for the furnace.

Can you post a pic of the blower motor wires and the plug they go to.

The schematic I have from the unit will no longer pertain

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can't post a picture I think it is time to bail I will have to call someone to look at the blower motor In the meantime as long as i am at home can I let the blower run to satisfy the theromstat with the old limit switch hooked up and not installed without putting the heat exchanger in danger

No, do not let the limit hang free as that totally circumvents the safety feature and purpose of the limit.

Lets say the limit is keep the furnace less than 220 degrees....we remove it and let the furnace get to 300+...this is not good or safe.

Letting it cycle is a pain, but at least is safe.

I wish you the best

Billy

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
how do we end this

you just rate service with a star system visible on your end. Once rated it moves off the active list.

Thank you

BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
BillyHvac
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech