Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

We have a Carrier Heat Pump system with auxiliary electric

Customer Question

We have a Carrier Heat Pump system with auxiliary electric heating coils (I think 3 stage).
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: In Heating mode, the Heat pump turns off at 35 F and the heating coils take over. That is absurd and very inefficient. There is a way to adjust when the heating coils come on. I don't know how to do it. Instructions Please
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The system is 14 months old,The thermostat control is an Infinity Touch Control
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 8 months ago.

Hello, its most likely adjustable. If your thermostat has the outside air sensor option installed, it can be adjusted at the thermostat, other systems are adjustable at the outside unit.

30F was a good heat pump cut out temperature for older systems that used R22 refrigerant, usually 8 or 10 years old by now... newer systems that use R410a should be set between 15 and 20F to cut out and go into auxiliary heat mode.

There is a sticker on the outside unit that says what refrigerant is installed.

.

Take close up, exceedingly well focused photo's of the wiring diagram glued inside the furnace/air handler door, and the printed circuit board mounted on the blower, , that shows where the thermostat wires connect, and the thermostat wire connections, after you gently pry the thermostat from its wall mounted sub base... with the thermostat removed you can see the brand and model number of the thermostat on the back side of it.

Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo(s) to me.

.

We can go from there with training, coaching and diagnosis.... without a time limit, In depth with as much detail as needed .

.

When we finally get the situation solved, please select the 'finish and rate your expert link' near the top of your page and click on it.

.
My goal is to give you the best experience possible!
I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today.

If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.