HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a goodman gmv95 with an error code of 4 blinking

I have a goodman...

I have a goodman gmv95 with an error code of 4 blinking lights. The flame never comes on. So far, I have checked the hoses for loose fit and they all seem tight and un obstructed. I have check voltages on the three large round switches and looks like the voltages are all at zero.

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the appliance? Have you gotten error messages before?

The appliance is roughly 10 years old but used very lightly. I have never had problems with it before.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I would like to try

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No thats about it

3/17/2018
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

The code is for a thermal device open...was the filter plugged when this happened?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no, the filter is not very dirty. I also tried it with the filter out completely

There are several switches..some auto reset and others manual.

Either I can get a stock photo and circle switches or if you can post a pic of the furnace with doors off I can direct

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can get a picture and send it to you. Should I do that before you call

actually the call feature is not currently available.

We would need to continue this format.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. do you want me to get a picture of the switches

The pics usually help you locate better than the line drawings.

Here is the manual for parts..and anything that says limit..manual reset or auto we would check

Click Here

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have my owners manual here but the pictures don't exactly match with the actual furnace. The switches that I am referring to are probably the pressure switches. There seem to be three of them, two are marked with a high limit and a low limit label. The third I am not sure about. The have .1, .3, and .75?? (I need to check on this number) marked on the label. The also have tubes running to the other parts of the furnace

those are pressure switches for combustion air flow.

If you can post a pic I can show you the thermal switches

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will go get a picture now. How do I post the picture to you ?

there should be an attach files link by the dialog box

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Got the picture. Give me a few minutes to transfer it from my phone.

see here to get started

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No Change. A few questions about the results. The reset switch didnt push in at all. It just seemed frozen in place. I tried pulling it out and pushing it in. Nothing moved. The other thing, the fan that the pressure switches connect up to, when the heater first tries to turn it, it comes on after a few seconds, runs strong for about 5 to 10 seconds, then shuts down. The main blower continues to run in the background.

ok, the wires from the switch you tapped...they go up to the left and out of pic. We need to follow those wires to the other switches...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The switch I tapped would be the pri***** *****mit switch ?? After I follow it to the other switch, what should I do then

the other switches would be manual resets with tiny buttons between the wires.

To get a thermal open usually means filter was dirty, vents closed, furnace ran too long etc.

There are commonly 2 in the blower section on the sides of blower housing also

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. By the way, should the reset switches make a clicking sound or feel like they toggled ?

yes....a tripped switch will click when pressed

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If a tripped switch feels frozen, could that be an indicator it is bad or once you reset the switch, does it then feel like its locked it place until it gets triggered again. I'm just trying to figure out if the first switch I checked is somehow not resetting and needs to be replaced

the easiest way to rule out a switch is to remove the 2 wires and connect the 2 wires together totally bypassing the switch. Lets say a switch does not reset but feels funny...just bypass the switch to see if code goes away. If it does go away you have a defective switch.

But please follow the wires all the way until they return to circuit board to find all switches.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I followed the wire to the circuit board and there are no more reset switch along the path. In fact, I don't see any more reset switches anywhere. Is it possible that there is only one reset switch on this design

possible..the smaller the btu the fewer switches. And it appears to be only a 2 or 3 burner furnace.

Did you bypass the switch on front wall as I mentioned?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just got back from doing that. The problem is still there

so from the time the wires leave the board and return ...they only go through 2 switches total?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was only looking for reset switches. I didn't count any others but if you are referring to the reset and the primary one that you had me tap, yes there are only two. I didnt check on pressure switches with the rubber hoses attached. Should I look to see if the wires are routed through these as well ?

that is a different series. If the code stated a pressure switch/flow issue we trace that circuit. But for the thermal limits we trace just what switches are in series...meaning the wire leaves one and goes to the next..etc etc.

Can you post a pic of the blower section for me just in case?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sure. Thats just the area to the right of the previous picture I sent you. Not the compartment with the circuit boards ?

compartment to right where main blower is

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I should have them for you a few more minutes
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
sorry it took so long to get back to you. The other wires you pointed out did lead to switch way in the back of the blower. The first had no affect but the second one did the trick. By the way, that switch did make a audible click when I pushed it so it probably was the problem all along. Thank you much

Great news...the pics you supplied were just right!

Just rate service with the star system to close.

Have a great weekend

Billy

BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
BillyHvac
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech