HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

The fan on our system keeps running even when we put it on…

Customer Question
The fan on our...

The fan on our system keeps running even when we put it on Off and set it to Auto. The battery case has the following: TH5220D1003 - 0519

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Since yesterday, 03/16.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Only if it a simple matter of tweeking the thermostat.

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

Specific to the thermostat, which is upstairs. The one downstairs is working fine.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

That's it.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: HVAC
3/17/2018
HVAC Technician: HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH replied 6 months ago
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

This is likely a thermal rollout issue. There are high limit safety thermostats that are around the burner housing area that can trip open if they fail or the unit is overheating. That will cause the blower to run non stop. Some of these have reset buttons on them that you can manually press down to reset while others do not. The ones that do not either are one time limits or are limits that are suppose to manually reset when cooled down. Now that does not always happen when they go bad so you will have to check them for continuity with an ohm meter across the two leads going to them. If you do not pwn a ohm meter you can physically bypass each rollout to make sure it is good by connecting the two wires to each rollout sensor together to see if the unit will then operate. Now once you have found the bad one you can change it out or reset it and then you should check your furnace filter for blockages and make sure you main furnace blower is running to speed. These two things can cause a unit to overheat and trip one of these rollout sensors. Mosts units have 3 of these devices and here is a link to what they can look like on your unit.

CLICK HERE

CLICK HERE

CLICK HERE

All I ask is...Please remember to use the RATING LINK ON YOUR PAGE by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today. Even though you paid the site they will not disburse any part of it to me until you supply a good rating. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.