HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My question is about HVAC. The contractor prematurely

My question is about HVAC...
My question is about HVAC. The contractor prematurely installed air handlers from Comfort AIr, 11 units of VFH model.
The house is not done and the models are now discontinued, yet I need 3 condensers for outdoor. The manufacturer says I can install new model condensers and it is compatible with the old air handlers. However, the contractor insists that the new condensers will not work with old units and that I either get old discontinued condensers which are available in the warehouse or get all new mini-splits ( at a cost) and new condensers.
He insists, in spite of the manufacturer's reassurance, that the old and the new will not work together.
Obviously, the distributor is interested in getting rid of all discontinued condensers, so i am not sure who to trust.
Irina
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
model numbers:
condensers: A- VFH 42PA, 36QA; 24TA;
air handlers: B -VFH 09 MA-1;12 MA-1, 18 MA-1
3/18/2018
Bill
Bill, HVAC Technician

Actually I fail to see where any of this is your responsibility.

The installing contractor should be the one to make this right regardless of cost.

Lets say you get a quote to install the units, then at build time the units cost $5,000.. more than when quoted.

This is not your fault and you should not pay the additional 5K. It is not your fault units are discontinued or cost of new units are more.

In my opinion the contractor is protecting themselves and making you responsible. I would be embarrassed to ask my customer to make up the the difference in this exact situation.

Why wasnt the equipment alll ordered at same time?

We NEVER buy partial sets...always a full set, never indoor only.

As far as the discussion of if they will work or not......I see the indoor units will work with the upgraded units.

Now "discontinued" is not a bad thing. It simply means like everything else they are making a different version.

This is like saying the 2017 Car is discontinued. Yes they no longer make it, but that means nothing in the world of heating and cooling. If you buy "current" units at an extra cost - they will be discontinued in 6-12 months.

I would drop this right back in the contractors lap and give them a choice. Get the correct units even though "discontinued", or buy all new at no additional cost.

If the roof were half done and the roofer came back that the color shingles were no longer available and you needed to buy all new....the answer is no.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. It is not my responsibility, correct.
The supply store has the discontinued outdoor condensers, we can install them, yes.
However, I had to check all the information I was getting from my contractor because I did not trust his assertion that it is "better" to change all indoor units and install new condensers as well.
According to the manufacturer the efficiency will be slightly better with new condensers, - and this is what he is opposed to: ***** ***** and new, so that it is either all old or all new. He is saying that the computer part in the new condenser will not recognize the old indoor unit and will not work. It sounds like nonsense to me. He also says that the parts will not be available in a couple of years,- again, not true according to the manufacturer.
I see that you agree with the manufacturer.
Thank you for your response.

You are very welcome and I wish you the best.

I hope all works out well for you.

Just arte service to close thread and return back here for any follow up needed

Bill
Bill, HVAC Technician
Bill
Bill
Bill, HVAC Technician