HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Once I evacuate an R-22 system that might be contaminated…

Customer Question
Once I evacuate an R-22...
Once I evacuate an R-22 system that might be contaminated ... should I flush out my gauges with nitrogen or the flush fluid for cleaning line sets?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: HVAC
3/17/2018
HVAC Technician: David Bowden, General Contractor replied 6 months ago
David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor

Hello and welcome to Just Answer… My name is ***** ***** allow me a few moments while I do some research, my recommendation will appear shortly.

Many techs will have 2 sets of gauges, one for uncontaminated systems, and one for contaminated systems. If you don't want to have 2 sets, then flushing with Nitrogen is preferred.

Dave ... it says you’re an Electrician. I was really hoping this question was going to be answered by and HVAC technician.

I am also a general contractor and part of learning electrical I worked for a HVAC and Refrigeration contractor as well as a home warranty company doing A/C service work and many compressor change outs.

HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 6 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, if the oil is burnt or with black particles, then a nitrogen flush is not sufficient.....and you should have a separate set of gauges as David suggests, OR you can flush them with R11 cleaning solvent (which must be recovered, and that is complex).. so that Davids advice to have a separate set of gauges is not a bad idea.

.

That is rarely if ever done however, mostly the gauge hoses are simply blown out with new refrigerant, a short toot...(which is not legal). and the contaminated gauges do indeed contaminate the new system slightly. That said, in most cases, the gauges are flowing clean refrigerant into a system... and when measuring pressure i a contaminated system.

NOTE: this is a duplicate of your original question, you should cancel it to avoid double charges, I have responded in your original thread.

Thanks Phil for the additional response, since it is a duplicate question I will remove myself so you may continue.

Best,

Dave