HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Trying to hook up Lyric T5 Wu-Fi Thermostat. Do not know. I…

Customer Question
Trying to hook up...

Trying to hook up Lyric T5 Wu-Fi Thermostat

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

Do not know

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes I did fallowed the instruction did the wiring then plugged the unit in and turned the power on and the setup screen should come on and nothing

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

That’s pretty much it

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: HVAC
The product is Honeywell
3/15/2018
HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 5 months ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

My name is Billy.

Please disregard any computer phone offers as that is not currently available.

Can you tell me what color wire you put on what terminal?

Was furnace power off when changing?

Every thing was off when I took down the old thermostat it had a w and white wire in that position G and a green wire a yellow in the Y slot a Rh and a Rc position seed loop wire and a red wire also in the Rh slot so I duplicated the set up in the new thermostat except there was no Rh label but. R slot next to the Rc slot

ok so right now if you remove the thermostat and take the red wire and touch it to the green wire does the blower in furnace start?

did you know this thermostat requires another wire on C terminal at both thermostat and at furnace?

The old one did not have that

The new one needs another wire for power. Is there an extra wire in the cable not being used?

There is a light blue and a brown wire

great...and do you have access to the furnace?

Are you still with me? I can direct on how to make this work

The furnace is in the attic no access
Are you there ?

to use this thermostat we need to hook a wire on C in the thermostat and on C in the furnace.

There is no access at all? How to you get to the furnace in the event it needs service?

They bring a latter I have no ladder

ok,

well te bad news is this thermostat and most wifi thermostats need an extra wire, and to do this requires getting to the furnace

In the attic a access in the hall roof a square door in the roof
Well that’s just great

there is only 1 that does not need an extra wire thats wifi..called the Sensi.

All other wifi stats need an extra wire

What about the blue or brown wire

yes we can use one of those...but we still need to get into attic to attach the other end in furnace

Ok well I guess I spent 149.00 for nothing

If you can get into the attic for one wire terminal you could use this. Or just return it.

Ok thanks
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 5 months ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Do you by chance have a multi meter for testing voltage? It may be possible that one of those wires is already connected in furnace.