HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a new ac unit 2 c 2 h. The installers didn’t have the…

Customer Question
I have a new...

I have a new ac unit 2 c 2 h. The installers didn’t have the right 2 stage thermostat so they put in a temp and sent me the Braeburn 5220 later. They kind of burned me so I had to install it myself. I followed direction specifically.... green to fan,red to a jumpered rh/rc, Blue to common, and I had yellow and white left for the two stages. I opened the unit to find white was in y1 and yellow was in y2. So I hooked them up to thermostat that way. Well, when I turn on the cooler the fan blows hot air. The compressor never turns on. I checked fuses and made sure it was getting the 220v supply. I’m befutlled.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

The compressor is not kicking on. It is brand new.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I think I explains everything. I think....

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: HVAC
3/15/2018
HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 1 month ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

hello,

at furnace...was there a wire from the ac unit attached to Y1 and Y2 along with the wires from thermostat?

And can you tell me the color of wires on what terminal in thermostat, and then what color wire goes where in furnace.

I assume this is a gas furnace with ac?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
gas furnace. No only one wire to thermostat was yellow. Now there is white available which used to go to W1. You telling me I can’t do this with a 5 wire setup??

Here is the "code" for 2 stage.

Red to rc/rh

white to w1

yellow to y1

green to g

blue to c (if present)

The remaining w2 and y2 are pending what colors you have left in cable.

For 5 wires....you would wire as above and let the equipment turn on second stages.....but i would need to know what wires come from outside ac unit to the furnace

BillyHvac
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech