HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I just replaced a 10 year old Carrier Furnace with a Lennox.

Customer Question
I just replaced a...

I just replaced a 10 year old Carrier Furnace with a Lennox. It is a 2 zone system (Carrier again). At the install we had to change out the zone control board and thermostats to be compatible with Lennox. Now a month later the damper actuators are noisy and a tech says they need to be replaced. Is it possible the actuator's are failing because they are not compatible with the Lennox zone board and furnace system? Thanks Geo

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

The problem has been diagnosed as being with the zone damper motors(actuators). Load noise through the vents particularly when the air is NOT flowing through the vent

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No. My concern is if it is a compatibility issue that the install company should have been aware of the issue and suggested replacing the actuators at the time of install

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Should I have replaced the furnace with another Carier/Bryant or other product compatible with the original zoning syatem

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/14/2018
HVAC Technician: Bill, HVAC Technician replied 1 month ago
Bill
Bill, HVAC Technician

Hello and sorry for the delay.

This is a "should have" thing from the Lennox installer.

Anytime you have replace a proprietary control with another you should evaluate the entire system. For the price of 2 zone dampers this could have easily been avoided. Odds are you purchased a fairly high end communicating system...which means $$.

You removed a specialized Carrier system and installed a specialized Lennox system and left what the controls are controlling as far as dampers.

At this point we do not even know if the dampers are correct for application. Some are power open and power close...come are spring return closed or open.

If I were the contractor I would have wanted to replace the zone motors with the package

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. Just to clarify, what I hear you saying is that with a Carrier Zone system I should have replaced the furnace with a Carrier/Bryant furnace if I did not want to compromise the system? For a Lennox he should have quoted for replacing the zone damper/motor at the time of installation? Another point is that the damper motors now seam to be running almost continuously.If it is an on/off system then wouldn't the motor just run when opening or closing?

Just to clarify, what I hear you saying is that with a Carrier Zone system I should have replaced the furnace with a Carrier/Bryant furnace if I did not want to compromise the system?.......that is correct

For a Lennox he should have quoted for replacing the zone damper/motor at the time of installation?.....that is correct

Another point is that the damper motors now seam to be running almost continuously.If it is an on/off system then wouldn't the motor just run when opening or closing? .....Supposed to. But unfortunately you and I do not know what format they have controlling the zone dampers. They could be feeding continuous power.

You just cannot replace a furnace and some components on a system like this. It was (Carrier) designed as a complete package that all parts were designed to work together.

If Lennox were to replace the Carrier it should also have been a complete package.

Bill
Bill
Bill, HVAC Technician