HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I gotta warn you, my current HVAC vendor is stumped...

I gotta warn you...

Contractor's Assistant: Are you an HVAC professional?

No.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Possibly, but hopefully now. er now->not

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I think that's all before asking the question... :)

I have a conventional oil furnace and just had a heat pump/AC installed. The intent was to use a single smart thermostat to control both ("Dual fuel", shut off the heat pump at 35F, or so and run the oil burner when it's very cold). Installer finished but now says that due to the "backup" electric heat on the heat pump that this isn't possible (and I need to put the oil burner on a second thermostat). How do I wire both systems to one thermostat? I was looking at p141 of this:https://forwardthinking.honeywell.com/related_links/thermostats/prestige/68-0311.pdfand it seems to be just what I'm looking for...? Am I right? And if so what do I tell the installer to get them to understand? And if I'm wrong, is there anything that I can do (besides having two thermostats?)
Failing the Honeywell... which DOES seem to me like it would work... It seems like this https://jacksonsystems.com/products/dual-fuel-kit-outdoor-thermostat.html would do the job. The thing the installer claims is the problem is that the airhandler will be running when the furnace is running (dumping cold air out the vents while the oil heat is heating the baseboards)
3/14/2018
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

If you had an electric sir handler installed with the heat pump, you will need two separate thermostats as the oil furnace and heat pump have independant transformers.

If you had a heat pump outdoor unit installed using the oil furnace as would be the proper way to do, then a single dual fuel thermostat will work.

Electric air handler in the attic. Condenser outside. Not sure what you mean by "heat pump outdoor unit installed using the oil furnace"?I'd thought that fig 324 on p141 (link above) would use the two independent transformers?

No that will not work.Figure 324 is used when you have a transformer in the air handler for heat only and a separate transformer in outdoor unit to control contactor in outdoor.

What you are trying to do if you have an electric air handler is to control two entirely different systems with a single thermostat.

The problem is the air handler has its own transformer which control blower,heat strips, outdoor unit and everything and then the oil furnace also has a transformer that controls the blower, heat controls etc.

The proper way to do this would be to use the oil furnace as the blower for both the heat pump and oil furnace with a heat pump coil installed with the oil furnace.

Otherwise you have a stand alone oil furnace and a stand alone heat pump.

Ok. I think I get why fig 324 doesn't work for me. Only remaining Q is whether my second link:https://jacksonsystems.com/products/dual-fuel-kit-outdoor-thermostat.htmlwould allow me to dual-fuel across the two systems.

Unfortunately NO.

Again the reason we can't control two separate blowers with one thermostat is that the thermostat has to have a 24v hot wire from transformer in the air handling unit and a 24v common from same unit.

You can have a separate transformer for outdoor which can go to RC.

The problem is we can't control two blowers that use two different transformers with a single thermostat

Only 1 blower (oil furnace is forced hot water) but I think I follow your line of thought. I gave the Jackson/iohvaccontrols guys a call and spoke to an engineer. They think that with an isolating relay on the oil furnace I can get what I want.Thanks for the assistance. I think I'm all set for now.

I gotcha.Good luck and hope that works.

airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician