HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a Utica oil burmer with a beckett intake system

Customer Question
I have a Utica...

I have a Utica oil burmer with a beckett intake system that's suppose to be auto light pilot. we had a power outage and the pilot is out and i do not know how to restart it

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

This morning

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

That's all i have for now

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/14/2018
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 4 months ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Oil burners don't have pilots. Press the reset button on the ignition control that on he top right side of the burner

i pressed it and it goes back to blinking, apparently its locked out
i would prefer to do this over chat not via telephone
am i chatting with rick still?

Sorry had to step away for a while.

What is the name on the ignition control?

beckett is the name on the ignition control

Ok, hold the button down for at least 15 seconds then release it.

ok, ill try that, be back in a 30 sec

If that doesn't work try 30 + seconds

i held it for 30 seconds and it is still blinking
i have the heat in the house off
says it is in lockout
earlier i had shut the system off at the electrical panel and the emergency on off on the boiler, waited a minute and turned everything back on

Holding the button down for 15+ seconds should restart the burner. I'm assuming you're pressing the clear plastic button where the flashing LED is. If that still doesn't work turn the power off turn the power off for 15 minutes then try again. If it still doesn't work the control may have been damaged in a power surge when the power came back on.

there is only one button, it is red, that is what ive pushed a few times. at first it sounded like it was coming on and then went back to blinking. now it goes right back to blinking
should i turn the emergency switch off and turn the power off at the electrical panel and wait 15 minutes?

So the burner motor started then went back to lockout after it ran for a short while?

the first time i hit it, then the times after it went right to blinking

If the reset is red you don't have a Beckett control. It's a Honeywell and you have to hold the button down for 30+ seconds. In any event try turning it off (at the breker or emergency switch) for 15 minutes

ok, it says beckett all over the control i see Honeywell nowhere. i will turn it off at both the emergency off and the electrical control panel fir the home

Ok, you may have an old Beckett control but they are pretty rare.

ive turned off the system, the blinking light is off so i know the system is off. i will wait 15 minutes

Does it say GeniSys on the control?

r7184 b 1032 is on the control under beckett
i see genisys nowhere

That's a Honeywell control. So 30+ seconds for a hard lockout

ok, once i power it back on should i try holding the red reset for a while if t comes on blinking?

Yes, 30+ seconds. But try just pressing it briefly the first time

ok, ill beback at 11:05 est

Ok

ok, so i turned it back on, and reset for 30+ seconds. the motor came on and ran for a minute or two and the lockout came back on

If the burner runs but doesn't fire it's a burner ignition problem that a reset won't fix. Unless you have some experience with oil burners or similar you need to call a tech for service.