HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Furnace and HVAC issue

Customer Question
Furnace and HVAC issue
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: HVAC
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My furnace seems to not be working since last night. It is gas furnace Lennox Elite G26 Q3, 12 yrs old.
- The gas water heater is working so I know it is not a gas issue
- Main home thermostat was working last I checked
- The diagnostic lights are both green and read "Power "on" normal operation. Also signaled during cooling and continuous fan"
- I do not see a flame from the peephole window
3/13/2018
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 1 month ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Issue could be with thermostat.Remove bottom furnace panel. use a wire or needle nose pliers to jump R and W where thermostat wires connect to control board.Hold door switch down and see if furnace comes on.

https://i.imgur.com/JprQdYv.png

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The furnace turns on and shuts off immediately.

look in blower compartment and see if there is an error light blinking that will guide us in determining what is failing with the furnace.(Note) if no peep hole and you have to remove blower panel to see control board, it will be necessary to hold door switch in to have power to board)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I mentioned the diagnostic LED light above

If furnace fails light should change to an error code. Lets clean flame sensor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwR9qL4lnk

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I would assume so, and I have tried that. But I have not even seen a light with the ingiter through the window

You have already cleaned flame sensor?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was not able to remove it, very difficult to get to. But I used a rough paper towel and cleaned a little part that I could get to

So when it fails is the light staying solid?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The diagnostic lights are just green simultaneous slow flash.
I have tried restarting a few times and have not seen any ignition / flame at all.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I let the power stay on. After 10 min, it has started making a sound.
no heat though

OK that board may be the culprit if we are getting a'Normal operation" code.Anytime it fails the lights should change to one of the other codes as shown on that legend.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Wait, the heat just came on. The lights are a fast flashing pattern now. The air isn't blowing hard enough though. It usually is way more forceful.

Door panel back in place?

Sorry I got called away.If blower is not moving enough air, the issue may be a bad capacitor.Does your meter read microfarads?If not capacitor is less than 10 bucks,I would start there

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Oh thats okay. The furnace/blower seemed to work for a couple hours and not working again now.
After each restart, there is a delayed ignition at about 1 min, works for 5 min and shuts down.
The error light is working well - reads LED 1: Off, LED 2: Slow flash. I sent you the picture of the code sheet earlier

Is the blower stopping and then burners shut down?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I think they're both shutting down close together. By the time I get to the basement where it is located, it is just the error light I mentioned

The error code indicates pressure switch is opening.This can be due to water backing up in hoses, inducer not pulling enough vacuum(blocked vent,damaged blower wheel,loose hose, debris in tube or fitting on switch or inducer) or even a bad pressure switch.

You can check for water backing up, debris in hose ,blocked vent and condition of little blower, but you would need a manometer to see how much vacumm the inducer is actually pulling.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There doesn't seem to be water spilling anywhere. The hose/pipes from the furnace to the drain are good. The filter is good and new. The vent seems fine as far as I can see.
"The little blower" - you mean in the furnace? It seems to start fine, has a crackly granular sound which I dont know if its new or not.

THe small vent motor is the one that pulls vaccuum on pressure switch to keep it closed.Locate the pressure switch. It will be a small round canister with a hose attaching it to the inducer housing. Remove hose from inducer housing and leave it attached to the pressure switch. Power off and back on to reset board again, Then call for heat at thermostat. Allow inducer to start then suck on the end of hose still attached to pressure switch and see if switch will close and burners ignite.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Could it still be the flame sensor? I am considering cleaning it better.
Don't feel comfortable removing hose etc unless you think it is safe.

Yes it could. If you have a meter you can test that too.See below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5u044OJBc4

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will have to get the meter tomorrow. Meanwhile, is there something I can do to get to the flame sensor - its seems impossible and hidden
airheatman
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician