HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a Lennox G51MP that is flaking (no ignition). It just…

Customer Question
Hi Pearl. I...

Hi Pearl. I have a Lennox G51MP that is flaking (no ignition). It just ran through a purge cycle (again) and then shut down.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

2 hours. May have been down for longer. I'm gonna take a sec and see if there's an error code now that it shut off. Back in 30 seconds...

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the appliance? Have you gotten error messages before?

Came with the house... 2009 if I remember the prev. owner correctly.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Only if it's simple... ;-)

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Um, big snow storm on the way tonight.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: HVAC
3/13/2018
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 4 months ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Look in blower compartment and see if there is an error light blinking that will guide us in determining what is failing with the furnace.(Note) if no peep hole and you have to remove blower panel to see control board, it will be necessary to hold door switch in to have power to board)

Two green led's. Left LED 1 is blinking .5 sec on & .5 sec off. Right LED is steady green.

Sounds like maybe an open limit.See chart below:

There may be
several limits on the furnace.Below describes locations:
PRI***** *****MIT
The pri***** *****mit control is located on the partition panel and monitors
heat exchanger compartment temperatures. It is a normally closed
(electrically), automatic reset, temperature-activated sensor.
The limit guards against the overheating as a result of insufficient
conditioned air passing over the heat exchanger.
AUXILIARY LIMIT
The auxiliary limit control(s) are located on or near the circulator
blower and monitors heat exchanger compartment temperatures.
They are a normally-closed (electrically), manual-reset, temperature
activated sensors. These limits guard against overheating as a
result of insufficient conditioned air passing over the heat exchanger.
VENT DRAFGAURD
These would be located on the draft hood if you have one on your furnace.
ROLLOUT LIMIT
The rollout limit controls are mounted on the burner/manifold assembly
and monitor the burner flame. They are normally-closed
(electrically), manual-reset, temperature-activated sensors. These
limits guard against burner flames not being properly drawn into the
heat exchanger.
Lets start with the most simple and easy. Look near burners for limits with a little button in center.It will push in to reset.If none are tripped we will go from here. Let me know if you have a multi meter for troubleshooting.
http://i.imgur.com/CGkB9sa.jpg