HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Three bits of data requested on heat pump. Ruud upla-031jaz.

What is the lowest temperature...
Three bits of data requested on heat pump. Ruud upla-031jaz. What is the lowest temperature it is designed to operate in? 35, 40 or 45 degrees?Can it run concurrently with emergency heat?Is the reversing valve energized on heat or cooling?Thank you.
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/13/2018
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am happy to be able to work with you on this today.Please be patient as I respond as sometimes it takes me a few moments to gather proper manuals and specifications on your equipment in order to provide accurate answers.Please wait until we are finished to rate my answer.Just to let you know, the website will be offering a live phone call for an additional fee. Due to my current work load and responsibilities I may not be available for the live phone call .Please note that there is an additional cost for the service and if a technician calls it may be a different technician. However we can continue here as long as needed .

1.You can actually use the heat pump down to about 5 degrees,it just loses efficiencey below about 25 degrees.

2.You can run the heat pump along with the heat strips but that would be considered using the heat pump and heat strips as auxillary heat. If you select EMERGENCY heat on thermostat the elements will work alone without the heat pump

3.Ruud energizes the reversing valve in HEAT mode.

If you have further questions, please let me know.
Thanks for letting me work with you.When we are finished if my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.
To rate answer, please select one of the stars on the page.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. Installing an ecobee smart stat right now.

Let me know if you have further questsions and I will be happy to help.

If you just installed,give it several minutes to acclimate to actual room temp

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yeah. It’s been three hours since I put it on the wall.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Wires are warm to touch.

Wires should not be warm. Ny heat source near thermostat or wiring?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yeah. It was weird. I pulled stat off the wall and put palm of hand on top of wiring base with all of the wires bent around to fit in the cavity between the stat and the base. It felt warm. I unmounted the base and pulled the slack out and pushed it back into the wall. Now it reads 81. Two degrees cooler.

That is strange.Not sure where the heat would get in the wall

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I think the heat is generated from the stat itself. Put a nest on and it reads proper temp.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m going to stick with the Nest. But during testing I did emergency heat test that should have had the blower running. No blower. And I could smell burning elements.

THat should be controlled by a sequencer in the air handler.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I should wait longer to see if the blower turns on, huh?

No fan should come on immediately with first heat strip.Was this working normally before you messed with stat or is this a new installation?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It was working before I changed stat. I work two hours away from here. And I’ve always used a nest. When I moved into this new house the furnace wasn’t working. My goal was to get it to a known working state. And we did that yesterday and this morning. Now I’m trying to see if I can use a smart stat. Either Nest or Ecobee3 Lite. Both of which need to know the three questions I asked for setup.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
sir. But, I’m recalling something from last night. I went to bed late. It was cold. The heat pump wasn’t turning on. I decided to give up for the night. I turned heat to emergency heat and blower turned on. I went to bed and fell asleep fast. Two hours later I woke up to a burning electric/hair smell. The blower wasn’t running. I turned everything off.

Will blower come on now n any mode? Heat cool or FAN ON?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I then went to the heat pump and realized I hooked up wrong color wire (green instead of brown) while using flashlight last night. Got the right wire hooked up and heat pump worked. Never checked emergency heat again.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Blower will work in heat, cool and fan.

You may have a burned sequencer.IN emergency mode the sequencer tells motor to come on

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Wouldn’t surprise me. My luck these days. Do you know the part number for sequencer? I’ll get one tomorrow.

Which air handler do you have?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ubha-17j11nfaa

Give me a second

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Take your time. Thank you.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. All other tests pass. I appreciate your help. It was in the nick of time before snow came down today. I’ll get the sequencer tomorrow and replace it. Have a great night Tim.

THanks and good luck

airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
All good now. Thank you.
airheatman
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician