HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Pellet stove reads error 3 and there are plenty of pellets…

Customer Question
Pellet stove reads error...

Pellet stove reads error 3 and there are plenty of pellets in hopper

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the appliance? Have you gotten error messages before?

About 4 years old and error 2 was the only other code that has shown. I replaced micro switch and still a few pellets drop on first powering up but nothing after that

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes i have also replaced the distibution fan, and auger motor king pellet stove 5502m

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I have checked and have power to mcro switch and auger and all blowers. the exhaust fan does come on when you turn on the stove

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: HVAC
3/12/2018
HVAC Technician: Stans Fireplace, Fireplace Expert replied 6 months ago
Stans Fireplace
Stans Fireplace, Fireplace Expert

When you say micro switch are you referring to the low limit snap disc. on the combustion fan.

Sounds like the pipe may be plugged and the pressure switch is sensing it and stopping the pellet feed.

When was the last time you cleaned the unit and the exhaust pipe.

Cleaned the whole unit 3 weeks ago the micro switch is on the hopper closed it completes the circuit to auger. Now on start up it drops a few pellets and then nothing and will read code 3

OK, Unplug the unit, With jumper wires bypass all switches ( hopper, pressure, low limit , high limit, ) then start the unit see if it feeds correctly without make a fire. If it does feed ok then one by one with unit unplugged each time re-connect each bypassed sensor until it doesn't work and the will be the where the problem is either the part is doing it's job or it's a bad part.

Let me know what you found.