HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Need help wiring a honeywell r7284u from a r7184b primary…

Customer Question
Need help wiring a...

Need help wiring a honeywell r7284u from a r7184b primary control. I attached the wires from the 7184 exactly to the 7284 (burner to burner, igniter to igniter, valve to valve, L1 to L1, the 4 L2's to the 4 L2's, 2 cad's to cad) there is not limit wire connection on the 7184, so i dont have a wire from that to hook up. the r7284u sets on standby and nothing is happening. I seen in the forums that it must be used?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Just got the new primary today (R7284U) and just installed it about 30 minutes ago. I had major tripping going on with old 7184 controller after a power issue (transformer at nearby power station caught on fire and left us in the dark for hours til it got replaced, in late january). system tripped intemittently since then til last week, it couldn't be reset and run. Replaced pump (solenoid type), coupler, igniters, nozzle yesterday and it ran for 10 cycles and started tripping again. cad cell is testing okay, transformer is fine too. Noticed the led on the old primary stayed on, solid, after burner shut down and about 2 minutes after fan stopped, then would trip in 3 seconds when a call for heat happened. it was also very warm, not hot, to the touch. So, i decided to change it up to the universal model with the troubleshooting display to get a better handle on any problems. Its the wiring up the new one that I need help with so I can get some heat as its 30 outside now and all i got otherwise is 2 space heaters

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Thermostat and filters are fine no dirt in line

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I just need to know how to wire up the new primary (honeywell R7284U) from the old primary (honeywell R7184B) so the furnace runs

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: HVAC
3/12/2018
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 4 months ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

You need to run a new 120 volt hot lead to L1 and move the lead on L1 (most likely from the furnace limit) to LIMIT.