HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have an older gas furnace that isn’t blowing hot air. The…

Customer Question
I have an older...

I have an older gas furnace that isn’t blowing hot air. The pilot is lit, and the fan will come on but it’s cool air.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

I changed the filters today

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes if it’s not too technical

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I installed a nest thermostat yesterday, and it’s working fine on one unit but I think this one may have been broken before hand.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/12/2018
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 1 month ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Let's determine if issue is with thermostat or furnace first. Disconnect R and W at thermostat and connect the wires together and let's see if heat will come on.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just touch them together?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Nothing happened when I touched the wires

OK issue is with furnace not stat.Can you look inside the burner compartment on label on side panel and get me the model on your furnace? Then look in blower compartment and see if there is an error light blinking that will guide us in determining what is failing with the furnace.(Note) if no peep hole and you have to remove blower panel to see control board, it will be necessary to hold door switch in to have power to board)

This is an old one. Way before the diagnostic lights. Do you have a meter to test the limit switches?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don’t have a volt meter on me. But the fan comes on no problem and the pilot is lit. It just blows cold air. I also replaced the filter yesterday.

Yes that is one and there should also be one on draft hood.Try bypassing it just for a test

https://i.imgur.com/WqmGzzO.png

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Bypass didn’t seem to work. When the fan comes on it looks like it pulls the pilot up and away from the thermocouple.

THat is not good.If flame is fluxuating when blower comes on this nis a sign of hole or crack in heat exchanger.

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer