HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I am trying to determine if my 2000 watt generator will run…

Customer Question
I am trying to...

I am trying to determine if my 2000 watt generator will run my eg55 series 4 boiler? how many watts does it need to start up and then how watts to run?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Just a few hours

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I just need to know how many watts my furnace needs to start and run? I can not find any info anywhere on this issue.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you check the furnace's filters?

What???

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

This is a real chat ? you aren't answering the question

Contractor's Assistant: Sorry. Please ask it again.

I need to know wattage required to start a eg55 series 4 boiler

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: HVAC
3/11/2018
HVAC Technician: David Bowden, General Contractor replied 4 months ago
David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor

Hello and welcome to Just Answer… My name is ***** ***** allow me a few moments while I do some research, my recommendation will appear shortly.

Per the Weil- McLain EG55 Boiler manual the recommended voltage and breaker size is 120v at 15amps. If you apply Ohms Law, Volts * Amps = Watts or 120*15= 1,800 Watts. If you look at the boiler data plate it may list LRA (Line Running Amps) which may be higher, usually at start up. Also consider what the heater has in addition such as motors that also draw additional power at startup. You should also look at the breaker size on the generator and make sure it is not less than 15amps and I doubt you would be able to run much more with the heater operating.