HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I can't get the pilot light to light,, using the provided…

Customer Question
I can't get the...

I can't get the pilot light to light,, using the provided igniter

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Only this once, water became cold to touch clearly unheated a day ago, stepped through the provided relighting instructions without any success. This WH is the type with a sealed safety door that they recommend only pros remove.

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

One day, severity is no hot water.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes, I am a Gen Contractor in home building, 35 yrs exp., All indications are thermal coupler, only one additional factor, failure seems to coincide with blown circuit breaker, but this WH has no electrical connections.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

WH was manufactured date as June 2011, install and start of use coming later than that, prolly six yrs use.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: HVAC
3/10/2018
HVAC Technician: canuck the pro, Handyman replied 3 months ago
canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Handyman

Hi, I'm Mike and I have 20+ years of experience in the home improvement field. I'll be glad to assist you today.

Will the pilot light but not stay lit or you cannot get it to light at all? Do you see the spark when trying to light it?

I have a lil problem seeing directly into the view window and have used a mirror to assist in that. I see no flame at all but I don't know how far beyond the glass window would be but there is no flame nor light at all, same goes with spark.

It is pretty hard to see the spark in the window. Do you have someone that can help to look in the window and see if there is a spark and if the pilot does light?

No flame no spark

Is there a blinking light on the gas valve?

No light on valve, blinking or not, no light, no electrical current supplied.
No spark

Is there a status light on the face of the gas valve that is not lit? Is the water heater on a stand or on the floor?

On stand. No lights exist on or off. There is no electrical current supplied.

There are water heaters that have a status light and there is not electrical current supplied to the water heater. There are also wires on the gas valve with encased connectors. Will you check that all of the connectors are pushed in and making contact and try to ignite again? When attempting to ignite do you hear the click of the igniter but no spark or no click either?