HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My RHeem pro 50 getting luke warm. cant remember but about 7…

My RHeem pro 50...

My RHeem pro 50 getting luke warm. cant remember but about 7 years old.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Seems its been declining the last 5 or six months.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I connect house let get cold. didn't take but 20 gal or so go from not very hot to begin cold. I expected salts but didn't see any come through

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/10/2018
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your

issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of your situation.

Gas or electric water heater?

Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
electric
50 gal
about 7-8 years old
Phone call session started

The first thing to do is check that you have 220/240v into the top of the upper stat. Then check for 240v across the upper element. If the top of the tank is not hot and you have no 240v across the upper element then the upper thermostat is probably faulty. If the top of the tank is hot and you get no reading at the upper element; test for 240v across the terminals (still on the upper stat) that has the leads to the lower stat. If you have no reading then the upper stat is faulty; if you read 240v then move to the lower element.

Test for 240v across the element terminals if you have 240v then you probably have a bad element. To verify (without a clamping amp probe) turn the power off and remove both leads then check for continuity across the element terminals. You should read around 13 ohms. Also check continuity to ground (the bare tank is ground). If you get anything other than an open circuit (infinity) the element has grounded out and needs to be replaced

If you have no 240v at the element then put one probe on the element terminal that has the lead that is not interrupted by the lower stat and the other lead on the output side of the lower stat. If you get no 240v then move your probe to the input side of the lower stat. You should read 240v. If this is the case then the lower stat is bad.

i have 240 across the thermostat. 125v between either side of the element to tank. the can is barely warm.

You need to check continuity of the element. Also what s the water temp? if it doesn't correspond to the thermostat setting then the thermostat is faulty.

ohmed element 13ish and open to can

Turn the thermostat down until it clicks at what temp does it click?

water temp same as incoming water-cool.
before i called i had run out 20-25 gals the water was very warm but not hot. after about the first 15 gals the water was cool.
home depot should have the thermostat, right?