HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I am trying to troubleshoot my Trane XR80 furnace code shows…

I am trying to...

I am trying to troubleshoot my Trane XR80 furnace code shows fast normal call heat but it still just kicks on then off, repeatedly. I have read to try and clean the sensor but cant figure out where that is

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Changed the filter yesterday, changed the battery in the thermostat just in case-same thing

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I have a tune up scheduled for wednesday! This just happened last night and this morning-so I am trying to fix it how do I figure out where the sensor is?

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Any other suggestions to try

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/10/2018
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

do you actually get flame for 3 seconds before kicking off?

also please disregard phone offers as that option is not currently available

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i did see the flame but didnt time it-seems like that is about right-it tried three times to lick on then shut off and now its not even trying the cold air return is blowing out semi cold air
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can not afford to pay for a call, couldn't even afford the $5 but I am freezing-can you help me?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
hello?

Can you tell me if you see a glow in the flame box at all during start up

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
not anymore-it was there when it first kicked on but the only light now is the fast blinking red one thru the peep hole

Take a pic of your furnace with top door off and I will circle where the flame sensor is

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I sent pics. Can you tell me why would the cold air be coming out of return if I had thermostat shut off-does the fan still work when thermostat is off?

if furnace is fail mode the blower runs nonstop. Have you shut off power to the furnace and back on yet?

You can actually post the picture here in this chat

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did shut off power-I sent the pic in reply to the txt I got-hang on and I will try and download them to this laptop

Standing by

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
pics attached
20180310_105203.jpg2018031...jpg20180310_105210.jpg2018031...jpg20180310_105217.jpg2018031...jpg20180310_105228.jpg2018031...jpg

see here for flame sensor location

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok I see what you are talking about-what do I do with it?

you clean the metal rod part in front of the burner with steel wool or sandpaper.

can you start furnace and tell me if there is ever a glow on the rightside of burner?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do I disconnect the sensor or leave it plugged in while I use the steel wool? Do I need to put the doors back on to start it to check glow-is the burner on top or bottom (yes I am that dumb!)

If you can reach the rod with your fingers just leave in place. If you cannot then you would take out the one screw holding it in...wire can be attached or not....slide out and clean with steel wool. Reinstall.

To try furnace to start, bottom door must be on, top door can be off, turn power on and thermostat to heat and up

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Oh the burner is attached to sensor...ok I could reach it but want to make sure I am understanding it-I literally just took a steel wool pad and rubbed it around the part between the white and orange part in pic-or am I going behind that where I can not see and cleaning that longer thing?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok-i realized the rod was behind that and felt the rod-cleaned it (I think), an dnow should I turn it all back on?

ok now turn all back on...tell me what happens

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
orange glow on far right, flame on all three burners(scared me half to death!), still feels like cold air coming out of cold air return not warm, warmer air coming out of vent and furnace is still running!!!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
in order for me to put top lid back on I have to remove bottom one which will shut furnace off-I noticed that the top of the senor is not actually IN the flame but a bit above it-just the tip of it-is that normal or did I moved it some how?

The sensor is normally about 1/3 in the flame ( the rod portion).

Shut everything down.

Put doors back on

turn power back on and tell me if the unit fires up again

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Oh my gosh, I am so amazed!!! I did it!!! Well, you did it-but still I am a grandmother and never fixed a thing on my own-thank you so much for your patience and help-I am already warm again!!! God Bless you!!!!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am thinking I should cancel my tune up (they only come look at it and tell you whats wrong).

well done!

You have fixed your furnace!

Just rate my service with the star system at top of page to close and have a great/warm weekend

Thank you

Billy

BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you-you too!!!
BillyHvac
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech