HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My capacitor is VERY hot. Suggestions? Started over night.

Customer Question
My capacitor is VERY...

My capacitor is VERY hot. Suggestions?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Started over night

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I'd like to try

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Like? Moderately handy

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: HVAC
3/10/2018
HVAC Technician: David Bowden, General Contractor replied 4 months ago
David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor

Hello and welcome to Just Answer… My name is ***** ***** allow me a few moments while I do some research, my recommendation will appear shortly.

When capacitors start getting hot, they usually are becoming dangerous and can explode. This may be from several things, usually from power surges/spikes. Recommend replacing it.

I cut off the power. Will it cool eventually? Or does it need to discharge somehow?

Capacitors are storage containers of electricity energy until discharged. So long as that energy is within the capacitor and actively moving around, it will remain warm/hot. Keep in mind as heat rises, products expand and as they expand they keep producing more heat/energy until released, (this is why they explode).

Over time the outside ambient temperature will help cool the capacitor down, but the energy inside is still active.

Just following up as to whether this information was helpful in answering your question, or do you still need assistance? Please let me know by replying in the box below.

Thanks

Dave

Greetings… Just following up to see if you were still needing some help answering your question?

Thanks,

Dave

HVAC Technician: David Bowden, General Contractor replied 3 months ago

Hello...

I am not sure if you have been receiving my follow up messages regarding this question however, if you would be so kind as to please respond and let me know if the information I provided initially was helpful or if you still require some assistance, I would sincerely ***** ***** that way I can either continue helping you or forward this to customer support for further processing.

Thank you very much,

Dave

Hello... As part of our continuous follow up procedures, every open question requires it to be closed out once it has gone past a reasonable time, and that the expert has provided an answer that should have helped resolve your question. This can be done simply by completing the 5 Star Rating once it appears. If you still require assistance or have additional questions, you can let the expert know by replying to this posting that you still need their advice and recommendations.

Thank you,

Dave

HVAC Technician: David Bowden, General Contractor replied 2 months ago

Greetings...

I was reviewing my open questions and noticed this one has not been rated yet. If you could take a couple of moments and complete the 5 Star Rating which will close out the question I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Dave

HVAC Technician: David Bowden, General Contractor replied 1 month ago

I do apologize for these continuing follow-up messages, however since this question remains open and will only close out once the rating portion has been completed by you. Please assist me by taking a few moments to fulfill the rating requirement and this will satisfy the system.

Thank you so much, I sincerely ***** *****

Best,

Dave

HVAC Technician: David Bowden, General Contractor replied 24 days ago

Greetings...

Thanks,

Dave