HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Just tried to replace my thermostat and turned the AC

Just tried to replace...

Just tried to replace my thermostat and turned the AC breaker off but failed to see that there was an extra "heat" breaker. Installed the new thermostat but nothing kicked back on. I am almost sure that either something tripped or I blew a fuse. But how do I troubleshoot to find out which one?

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Checked all the settings, even installed the old one back. Nothing. Both thermostats, downstairs and upstairs are blank

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If its just a fuse, sure I can handle it. I kinda handy but just dont have the experience to troubleshoot it correcrlt correctly

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Its a goodman unit, inside and outside i located the furnace/blower in the attic

3/10/2018
Gaztech
Gaztech, HVAC Technician

Hi I am Gaztech1, a independent technician, I will assist you with your issue.

Don't forget to rate the 5 star rating AT THE TOP OF PAGE if we are done. this will credit me for assisting you.

Power that supplys thermostat comes from heating unit, either called a gas furnace or a air handler.

For both types fuse is normally found on the electric control board inside unit.

Remove front panel.

If you want more detailed info, you need to provide the exact make and model located on or inside unit.

Hey!
update. Checked the fuse. 3amp fuse and it’s not burnt out
Also found The light on the circuit board is flashing 5 Times

If you want more detailed info to determin the 5 flash error code, you need to provide the exact make and model located on or inside unit

Goodman GMEC960803BNAA

OK

Error codes list, It shows 3 leds, with a specific patern, get the right one

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1201790/Goodman-Gmec96.html?page=42#manual

On the Onel I just saw the error code list also. Says 5 red flashing is open rollout/open fuse detected
Panel***

Limit switch has triped, it is due to poor or no air flow, Check filter.

On this unit in the attic?

Yes furnace filter, You change filter every 3 - months

Don’t see a filter anywhere in here

When furnace is in attic, filters are often found on the ceiling in a ceiling grill

Yup. Checked all filters. There was on in the bedroom ceiling and one downstairs. Both seem clean
We just moved in to this house and basically replaced all of that

OH got it You did

Is main blower running?

Nothing is running. Thermostats are blank.

OK, you checked fuse (good) there is a door switch that cuts power off to furnace when you remove furnace panel (blower compartment) press in on door switch, Tape it shut and see if it powers up.

That’s how I found out the light flashing. Had my wife turn on the breaker outside and I held it (door switch) down to count the light pattern

Tape switch closed then use a volt meter to mesure for 24 volt between R and C terminal on control board.

It shows it has 2 of those

Ok one second needed to attend to a few other things.

Then the main High limit switch is located between the exaust fan and the burners. it does not have a reset buton, it is supposed to reset automaticaly when furnace cools down. it may be stuck opened.

To test use Ohm meter to see if it is triped or not.

Look something like this

https://www.doityourself.com/forum/attachments/gas-oil-home-heating-furnaces/19653d1382360229-goodman-blower-not-shutting-off-goodmanlimitswitch.jpg

HELLO?? ..I will check in later...meanwhile...

There is a way to try and reset if it wont by itself.

Take switch out then put disk part on ice for 30 seconds, then tap it on counter, then put back in and try furnace.

Dont forget to shut power off to furnace when doing this.

Bought a tester because I didn’t have one. Fuse was actually blown. My fault from the get go. Thanks for your help though

Please

Best regards

Gaztech1

Gaztech
Gaztech, HVAC Technician