HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Thermolec boiler, 2 heating element faulty. when it was all…

Thermolec boiler, 2 heating...

Thermolec boiler, 2 heating element faulty. when it was all 4 are hooked up still heats up, but eventually trips the breaker. ordered 2 new elements, in the meantime unhooked the 2 bad elements and taped up the ends separately. Tech guy I talked to said should work and heat up on the 2 remaining. there is 240v to the 2 elements still online, but no heat. thermostats are on and calling for heat, and circ pumps work fine.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Ok lets get to my question, only thing changed was unhooking the 2 faulty elements.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Would the 2 connections to the faulty elements need to be connected to complete some needed circuit path. remaining 2 elements should heat up fine

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/10/2018
Bill
Bill, HVAC Technician

hello,

There wires would need to be connected as the 220v uses each hot to complete the circuit.

The 2 you have unhooked are likely in the series ahead of the others....you could also just swap the power to the element temporary...take the ones unhooked and attach to another element

Bill
Bill, HVAC Technician
still trying to get by until new elements arrive, when in hooking bad ones at element didn't work i tried one neg and pos dc power to the 2 relays, still didn't come on, then hooked neg back up and it fired up, waiting to see if breaker still pops. Am I ok running in this configuration? Trying to understand the testing of the relays, seems counterintuitive