HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I am switching out an old manual thermostat with a Honeywell…

Customer Question
I am switching out...

I am switching out an old manual thermostat with a Honeywell digital. I rewired it to put the w2 and e in same slot per instructions for someone elses question but it still in not working. I took out the metal spacer on the r and rc slots but only have a red. should I put it back and use the unused slot right before the r for the red wire.

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

It was working until I switch out the thermostat.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I switch it out myself and hope to get it working if not I will have to call in help

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: HVAC
3/9/2018
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 4 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello I got the pictures, back in a minute

That is standard heat pump thermostat wiring

Send me a photo of the way you have the new thermostat wired, we can go from there.

.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today.

If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Hello, that thermostat does not have an emergency or auxiliary heat function, nor does it have a C wire connection, you will be best off getting one that does,

If not, we can probably make that one you have work, to be sure though I need the brand and model number of the new thermostat,

.

Disconnect the blue wire from B entirely and tape the end, fit a jumper between Rh and Rc, Put batteries in the new thermostat, it should work. If it comes into cooling mode when you have the thermostat set for heating. move the orange wire to the B terminal,

.

We can keep going until we get the system working