HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a Payne PH1Z 042 pkg. heat pump that on call for heat…

I have a Payne...

I have a Payne PH1Z 042 pkg. heat pump that on call for heat I got indoor fan only.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Sorry didn't finish....traced out the control wiring and found I have a break in my Y wire from t-stat to unit. My question is can I temporarily connect the Y&G together at the unit to give me heat for now ?

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I have abt. 15 yrs. experience in hvac field but not service.

3/9/2018
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Yes you can connect the Y and G together but remember that the G is controling the unit , not temp controlled.

Correct me if I'm wrong....On a call for heat the thermostat will energize G (indoor fan) when satisfied it will break the connection shutting indoor fan, outdoor fan and comp..

Yes as long as you leave fan in AUTO position,it should cycle with heat pump, but if you turn fan to ON the temp will not control the unit. Many people like to run fan in ON mode to keep air circulating. You will have to stay in AUTO

I should have made myself clear on that.
Thank you very much

No problem .AS long as you understand that anytime we have a call for FAN, the compressor will also come on, you are fine.If you have further questions, please let me know.
Thanks for letting me work with you.When we are finished if my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.
To rate answer, please select one of the stars on the page.

airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician