HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My cold air return is very noisy

My cold air return is very noisy
3/9/2018
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Was working on helping you with a solution , but somehow the question went to 'unavailable".

IN your situation, if adjusting fan speed causes limit issues.Your only option is to increase the size of the return grill and duct or add another on other side.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No room for another

Did you see the drawing I sent with enlarged duct?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No

If you can get a taller grille and fabricate a transition as shown, that should quiet substantially

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Want to keep this DIY. How would I fabricate a transition?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can I get a larger return duct at home Depo

You can purchase a sheet of ductboard at a local hvac supply house

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
just been out onto shape?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Bend it

You should be able to get a larger grill from hvac supplier also,.

THey will sell you materials, just not equipment usuaually.

You ca cut the ductboard with a pocket knife and fabricate the transition in 4 pieces. taping together with foil tape.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
replace the existing short duct and start from the furnace intake just before the filter?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Or extend that current duct?

Extend it to match the red lines in drawing I sent.You will need to measure to see how high up you can go and still get a grille to fit.The grilles will come in standard 6" diminsions

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thanks!

Thanks for letting me work with you.When we are finished if my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.
To rate answer, please select one of the stars on the page

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
One last Q. Can I just remove the duct completely and let it "free return"?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
With a bigger hole / grilled?

Return should not come from the room where the furnace is located

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Makes sense

Yes

airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
airheatman
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician