HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

How do you clean up an oil saturated combustiin chanber?

Customer Question
How do you clean up...
How do you clean up an oil saturated combustiin chanber? Bleeding line sucked in oil at fan.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: HVAC
3/9/2018
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 1 month ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

You have 2 options, replace the saturated material (somewhat safer option) or fire up the burner and immediately shut it down which will burn off the excess fuel. You may have to do this a few times. Once burner fires the fuel in the chamber will ignite and will evenutally burn off.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
8220;Some what safer” for changing insulation out? Couldn’t a burn of saturated chamber be an explosion? Any suggestion of material / chemical to wipe down impeller with oil in it?

No it won't cause an explosion! We routinely do this when a customer has pushed the reset too many times on an old control. We don't replace the chamber just because they pushed the reset too often. However is can be a bit scary if you don't know what to expect. You will get a lot of smoke.
You'll note I said fire the burner then off immediately. If you don't then and just let it run then a hazardous situation can occur. I assume you mean the fan squirrel cage when you say impeller. Just wipe it down with a dry rag. No special chemical.

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer