HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Trane xb80 furnace cycles on and off after I already cleaned…

Trane xb80 furnace cycles...

Trane xb80 furnace cycles on and off after I already cleaned the flame sensor

Contractor's Assistant: Did you check the furnace's filters?

Yes I replaced it already

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

For the most part. I'm an automotive mechanic so I'm trying and hoping it's something simple before I pay

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I got it to work just a minute ago then it shuts off and no gas is coming out only the igniter coming on then shutting off

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/9/2018
gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician

Russ here, Trane dealer. You replaced the flame sensor only thing left is the board. Very common for the XB 80. Boards are all upgrade now. If you give me model number of board I will find a source for you. Russ

The board is a White Rogers 50A55-571. Be back with source and cost. Russ

Just Google 50A55-571. Several sites will come up. Upgraded board available on Amazon for 136.00. Easy changeout and save yourself about 450.00 on service call. Russ

That will take care of problem. I will open rate bad for you. Get back if you need followup info . Russ

Open rate box for you. Sorry still early here. Russ

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is that the reason it will shut off and not let the gas come when the igniter calls for it also the LED light just blinks but won't give a code

Yes. You can double check to make sure it is not thermostat by placing a jumper wire between R and W on furnace board and see if it cuts out. 99% of time it is board. Russ

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
if it cuts off then it's the board
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Does that explain why it started working by itself the other day. Right now it's running and I already checked what I could

If it does it again. Take front off thermostat and place a small wire between R and W and see if it work ok. Just keep an eye on for awhile and do not leave it jumper. Just checking thermostat. Russ

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I should go ahead and order that board then and replace it. Also with the jumper with the jumper wire on the thermostat if it continues to work then the thermostat is ok but if it shuts off I need to replace that too

No if the furnace runs ok with thermostat jumped then it is thermostat. (Replace thermostat) If furnace cuts off then replace board. Russ

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It's says RH and RC on the board

Doesn't matter . Either one they are the same. Russ

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Found the problem it's on the connector coming from the gas valve to the board. As soon as I wiggled the blue wire coming going into the board the gas has been working with no issues but I'm still going to order a new one

Great job. The wires on the board work loose from time to time. Russ

gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician
gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician