HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Phil I'm a electrical engineer can HVAC engineer I have a…

Customer Question
Hi Phil I'm a...

Hi Phil I'm a electrical engineer can HVAC engineer I have a problem with a carrier furnace that's an 80% the model number is ***** 110. The fan was bad in this furnace and I used a new fan that will go into any furnace but now this furnace is looking for feedback that the fan is running. There is a 4-pin connector on this 1 pin has 24 volts and I need to be able to bypass this feature in order to have the furnace run

Contractor's Assistant: Are you an HVAC professional?

Yes I am

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes everything is done I just have to bypass this feature using that 4 pin connector

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No I just need a quick answer on how to bypass this

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: HVAC
Need an answer please.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/9/2018
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 3 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello. I need to know if the new fan motor you bought is 3 or 4 speed motor that uses a *run capacitor, OR a variable speed motor costing $600 to $900 and does not use a run capacitor.

I need to know how many wires connected to the old motor and how many connect to the new motor in order to determine the type, so far it sounds like you might have gotten an incorrect type of motor

.

Take close up, exceedingly well focused photo's of the wiring diagram glued inside the furnace/air handler door, and the printed circuit board mounted on the blower, , that shows where the thermostat wires connect, and I will mark them up with trouble shooting instructions.

Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo(s) to me.

.

We can go from there with training, coaching and diagnosis.... without a time limit, In depth with as much detail as needed .

.

When we finally get the situation solved, please select the 'finish and rate your expert link' near the top of your page and click on it.

.
My goal is to give you the best experience possible!
I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today.

If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

I like using Mars Motors which are far more efficient then PSC Motors. They are five speed have 5 wires all operate from 120 volts they are a DC motor so no run capacitor and I have the fan running properly
The Mars Motors I use will work with any furnace. This Carrier Furnace is an older one and the fan for it is not available. There were four wires going to coming from the old fan motor that we're not power ground and neutral. Those wires go back to the computer to tell it that the fan is running I need to bypass this feature until I can put a new furnace in for them

I might be missing something here,

A bit about myself, I am 77 years old with 58 years in the business, the first 35 years running my own HVAC contracting company with 27 staff, the last 25 years or so consulting nationally, mostly large scale projects for the US Dept of Energy, IBM etc, and about 9,200 questions answered here since 2010. (1.7 percent failure rate)

.

I need the model number of the Mars motor you have in order to coach you on the install or any modifications needed.

What you have in place is a 3 phase DC motor, speed controlled by pulsing a 0 to 10v signal to the end bell of the motor that controls the pulse rate from the capacitors in the end bell, that pulse rate determines the speed of the motor (to be clear the 120 or 230vac power to the motor is converted to 3 phase DC inside the motors end bell.)

There are various other motors that can be wired to replace that variable speed motor, I need to see its wiring diagram to coach you on that transition

Lacking that, let me know and I can opt out. there are other very well qualified experts here who can look at your question and possibly answer without those details

Phil the new fan is running fine. I have it hooked up and it works great. The computer on the board for the carrier furnace is looking for a signal that the fan is running. This signal used to come from the old fan motor that had for extra wires besides 120 volts ground and neutral. I want to bypass this feature on the furnace so it will run everything else is done here.
The furnace will run properly for a minute or two and then believes there is no fan running so it shuts down. If then tries again in 30 seconds and runs again for a few minutes and the same thing happens the error code says the fan isn't running. I want to bypass this feature with a dip switches or with configuring the wires that went to the old fan motor so that it believes that the fan is running

Thanks, ***** ***** opt out so that others here can see your question and get involved if they have that answer