HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a LEDV2-TBI2S it has been very good for 20 years but…

Customer Question
I have a LEDV2-TBI2S...

I have a LEDV2-TBI2S it has been very good for 20 years but now it is not keeping water pressure I have to manually pull the feed lever to put water in it at least every hour or sometimes every 1/2 hour, i changed the relief valve and the expansion tank seems to be ok, so could you help me out? Gary Wasilla Alaska

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

3 days, since I noticed it wasn't holding water pressure, and over the 20 years once every month or so I had to add water to it.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Well right now I can't afford much so yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Are you still there?

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: HVAC
3/8/2018
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 1 month ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello Gary, if the boiler is not blowing water out of its relief valve and you keep having to add water every half hour, there is a very large water leak somewhere in the system, and it is apparently in the piping at a location that you cannot easily see.

You will have to search for the leak.

I will do my best to help you.

Disconnect the city water make up line, then drain the boiler and the radiators, plug the pressure relief valve and pressurize the boiler to 60 psig with air and use a mechanics stethoscope to listen for the leak.

Its not legal, but some technicians would add a few ounces of refrigerant 11 (burnt out refrigeration system flushing solvent) then use a halide torch or electronic refrigerant leak detector to locate the leak.

We can go from here without a time limit

Tell me as much as you can about the system... is it radiant floor heat, or free standing radiators, and where is the pipe between the boiler and these radiators located.

.

If the pipe is underground or in a slab floor and the leak is there, it is possible that the leak could create a sink hole, these can be very dangerous, is the area you are in known for sink holes?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't seen leak, I looked around for one. the only one i see is the from the pressure relief valve, I just changed our.

Thanks, if the pressure relief valve is leaking, then thats most likely the only leak... if its a new pressure relief valve its set for 30psig. verify that on its tag, If it still leaks and you have replaced the expansion tank, then the cause is the pressure *regulator* that is fit into the city water make up line, leaking past its valve seat and running the boiler pressure up beyond 30 psig causing the pressure relief valve to trip.

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer