HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

RUUD 90-22746-01. It wont heat, the draft motor is turning…

Hello Pearl, I'm John...

Hello Pearl, I'm John - RUUD 90-22746-01. It wont heat, the draft motor is turning but no flame

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

It's not the thermostat, what filters?

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The other day, same situation - I changed the heat setting then back and heat come on. didn't work this time.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Model # RUUD URGG-07E24JKR
3/8/2018
Chris Wagner

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your question regarding your Furnace. I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question. If the induction motor is running but no flame is being produced it can be a variety of different problems. Safety tripped, failure to recognized induction motor running, bad board, bad gas valve, no gas, etc... Are you wanting to try and fix it yourself?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the other day had a similar situation , changed thermostat setting switched fan from on to auto changed settings back to previous and heat came on. didn't work this time. I checked the terminals on the thermostat (loosened and retightened)
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'd prefer this method, then I've got a record.

Ok, let me try to pull up the schematic of the system.

I dont seem to have that unit on file. Can you locate the control board and see if it has a LED?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
can't see a control board, there's a honeywell module #s8600h

Ok, that module is the control board. It just has a plastic shell. Is there a LED visible?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no

Ok, Do you know what an Inducer motor is?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is that the motor/fan for draft?

There should be a vinyl/rubber tube connected between the Draft motor housing and the Switch

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
can i send you a picture?
Ok, you don't have pressure switch. Yours is the grey box on top of the inducer. It's a centrifugal switch.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I replaced that motor a few years ago

Ok, that should be fine. On the metal plate, there is a switch with a little red button. Press on it and see if it clicks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it does

Ok, put the door back on and test the system. Please do not run the system with the door off, Its dangerous.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
after I pressed the red button, I could hear rapid clicking. ok the door is back on but still no heat

Ok, the rapid clicking is the Spark igniter on the pilot Assembly. Its sounds like you are not receiving power to the gas valve or you have no gas. Are you on Natural or Propane?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
natural

Do you have a volt meter?

Ok, turn off the gas at the cut off valve beside the unit. There are 3 terminals on the side of the Tan gas valve. 1 black wire, 1 white, 1 brown. Turn the system on and check between black and brown. and white and brown while its clicking

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
mv - pv =14vdc

Need to check MV to MV/PV

and PV to MV/PV

MV is main valve

MV/PV is Common

PV is Pilot vavle

My colors might have been off. You should only have 24-28v between PV and MV/PV while its clicking which should activate the pilot valve to release gas.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
pv-mvpv=27vac
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
mv- mvpv=0.2vac

Ok, if you have spark (clicking) and 24v+ to the gas valve then there is a failure in the gas valve.

If your not comfortable with doing gas work youll have to hire a company to replace it for you. If it something you think you can do, youll need to order a replacement valve.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It's definitely 27vac not dc.

Correct, HVAC does not use DC except for Very Few relay found in Carrier.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for your help Chris

Not a Problem! My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you!

Chris Wagner
Chris Wagner
Chris Wagner
Chris Wagner