HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a ruud silouette 2 and am wondering can i set it up…

I have a ruud...

I have a ruud silouette 2 and am wondering can i set it up to just run the fan without heat?

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Currently there are only 2 wires to the unit

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Looking at it

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Have a new thermostat that needs the c wire

3/7/2018
Daniel Plourde
Daniel Plourde, HVAC Technician

hi i am dan i can help you with this. if you only have 2 conductors running from the thermostat to the furnace and you need to add a C wire you will either have to run a new cable or use an add a wire kit to the current wiring

OK, I can run the wire. Can I run another wire that will allow me to activate the blower without turning the heat on?
On the unit are terminals marked c g y w r

for fan only operation you will need the G wire connected so if it is heat only system you will need R C W G wires in the cable. i would recommend just running a new 5 cable wire if it is possible. also see THIS guide for understanding thermostat wiring

or instead of running a new wire you can use THIS kit to add the wires needed

Daniel Plourde
Daniel Plourde, HVAC Technician