HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Rheem rhsl-hm3617ja has been blowing fuses every couple of…

Rheem rhsl-hm3617ja has been...

Rheem rhsl-hm3617ja has been blowing fuses every couple of weeks. Checked outside and both of the red led's are blinking. Any clue as to if this is an error code I should be worried about? If so, do you know what they mean? Thanks in advance.

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the appliance? Have you gotten error messages before?

Installed late 2014. First time I have seen this type of issue. Bought the house last year and everything has been working fine until about a month ago. Replaced thermostat. Don't know where to go from here.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If possible. We had a professional out here for two hours and he said it could be a short in the wires that caused the blown fuse or a bad thermostat. He never even looked at the outside unit. I am comfortable replacing all pieces except the compressor.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I can think of. No extreme temperature changes. Has gotten no colder than 20 degrees this year and the air worked fine.

3/7/2018
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

1. What is model on outdoor unit?

2.Is it blowing fuse in heat mode or cool mode?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
rheem rhsl-hm3617ja blowing fuse in heat mode.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Outside model: 13pjl36a01 blowing fuse in heat mode.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can I provide any more info?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Both flashing, so I would say by looking at the diagram you sent that all is normal.

OK. If fuse is blowing randomly it may be heard to diagnose Does there seem to be a pattern such as when unit goes into defrost calling for the backup elements to come on? Or when unit has to stay on for awhile?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Unfortunately no. It will be fine for days when running on normal or when calling for the backup elements to come on. Some days it will blow after running for just a few minutes. :( I've tried just turning it up one degree at a time to see if it was the aux elements causing the fault and received the same result. (fuse blew)
I have a short-pro tool (https://www.amazon.com/Short-Quickly-Locate-Shorts-Circuits/dp/B00H862DCM) hooked up to each side of the fuse now waiting for it to short again.
Last time it blew I hooked up the short-pro tool to try and diagnose by disconnecting each wire to see when the short went away and it went away when I disconnected the red wires.
I checked connections outside and inside to see if there were any wires touching or close to touching and came up empty.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for the error code diagram btw.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If you are familiar with the short tool I listed, is it safe to just leave it there instead of continuously replacing fuses? It shorts or disconnects at 2.4 amps. Since it was below the 3 amp fuse I thought it would be safe... But I would like a second opinion.

It is safe but we really need to find the short.Look closely at all wires making sure there are no nicks.Rheem is also bad about routing the low and high pressure switch wires (blue and yellow) too close to the hot gas line .THese can overheat and allow the copper to touch the piping,then cool off and no longer touch.If all wiring is good, I would start by replacing the defrost board

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
In the outside unit?

Yes

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will do. I'll go look now and continue to check for any nicks.
I'll re-do all connections with fresh wire and double check for any bare wires.
This may take a while. Can I log back in at any time to update my case and ask further questions?
If I have to pick up tomorrow, will all of this be logged and someone (you or someone else) be able to pick up from where we left off?
Thank you again for all of the assistance! It is greatly appreciated!

Yes you can follow up for 30 days at no charge after rating.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry, are the wires and pipe located inside the panel cover or inside the unit under the fan?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Awesome.
You have been extremely helpful and provided very helpful diagrams and suggestions.
I just happened onto this site while looking for help and I am very glad I did.
The pictures are very helpful and I am very thankful for your time and assistance.I'll go and check the wires and get back to you if not tomorrow then by Friday.Thank you again for your help.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i submitted feedback and wrote a positive review. Thank you for taking the time to provide suggestions and pictures specific to my model. This was a very positive experience and I will post on all my social media outlets about my positive experience.
Please have a good evening.
Devin

THanks.Look forward to hearing back

airheatman
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician