HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Trying to help my sister-in-law get her heater working, and…

Customer Question
Trying to help my...

Trying to help my sister-in-law get her heater working, and this is what I figured out so far. When I first tried to turn it on you could hear the igniter kick in and ensues the gas came on it shut off. I jumped out the thermostat make sure wasn’t bad thermostat, but that didn’t help either. On the circuit board the status code is three quick blinks, and then three slower blinks. When I turned power onto the unit the family come on after a few seconds, and builds up the speed. The fan always comes on the matter thermostat and on or off. I don’t think I’m getting voltage to the control circuit, so I don’t know how the fan could come on, plus the power from the blinking light It’s a carrier in the 38CK and 38 BR group.

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

From what I can tell in the research I've just started it's a problem with one of the sensors, but I still can't get a reading on my voltage tester, but it seems to me would have to have voltage on the contactor for the fan to run.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Depends on what's wrong, if it's just changing a transformer, or cleaning sensors I can do that,

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Just any advice would be helpful

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: HVAC
3/7/2018
HVAC Technician: Daniel Plourde, HVAC Technician replied 4 months ago
Daniel Plourde
Daniel Plourde, HVAC Technician

hi i am dan i can help you with this. the error 33 means a limit switch is open which triggers the fan to run all the time. since the fan is running and the burners are trying to lite that means you have control voltage. if you test between R and C on the circuit board you will get 24 volts AC. do the burners lite at all and if they do how long does it run before you get the error code

When I first tried to turn it on you could hear the igniter kick in and as soon as the gas came on it shut off.

did the burners lite at all?

Let’s start with the easy stuff first, and if it gets complicated I’ll call you. How many limit switches would be involved, right now I see two sensors, if I replaced the two sensors, and that doesn’t fix it, then the problem is in the path, probably in the circuit board? When I first tried to turn it on you could hear the igniter kick in and as soon as the gas came on it shut off.

there will be 2 roll out switches that are most likely a manual reset that will have a button in the center for resetting. the other switch is a high limit switch that has a probe that sticks into the furnace with 2 wires coming off it. if you can provide the model number of the furnace i can give you better details for where the sensors are

Don’t get me wrong if you help me fix it is worth 24 bucks. When I get this thing up and running I will call you and thank you! It is a courier 38 BRC,BRG,CKS,CKC,CKG,CKW,CMC split system air conditioner. Sorry could be more specific, I couldn’t find on the unit what it was.

that is the mode for the air conditioner, not the furnace. the model number for the furnace will be on a sticker like this inside the furnace and probably start with the number 58. or if you can post a picture of the furnace i can point out exactly where the switches are. also, you can ignore any automated system messages like phone call request. those are automatic and from the system not from me directly

Unfortunately I'm at home, my sister-in-law about 1/2 hour away, but I'll get that information so we can continue. With a little bit of luck you've already leaded me to the promised land.

ok just reply back when you have the information